Caramel Cream Ale Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieRivers

Reaction score
Looking to brew the Caramel Cream Ale as per Cheesefood's Recipe. I will be kegging so how would I handle the priming phase? Should I just add the 1 cup of Lactose 4 oz. of vanilla and 1.5 cups light DME when I keg? I do not force carbonate.
As far as the rest of the recipe I will follow as per Cheesefood.

Thanks for any input
Bill

Cheesefood's Recipe

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale (they don't carry White Labs)

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract (too damned expensive to use more)

Priming
>1cup Lactose
4oz vanilla
1.5 cups light DME

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

i think people usually use less priming sugar (or DME) when naturally carbonating in kegs as opposed to bottles (2/3, 3/4, not really sure....)

Latest posts

Back