wheat malt needs enzymes or just steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulatgis

Reaction score
making some wheat beer and have 1 lb of wheat malt (grain) for fun of it. im using a wheat malt kit with liquid and dry wheat malt both containing barly malt. since its wheat malt (grain) dont i need to mash it at lower than boil temps or is all the starch already converted to sugars so just steep? if i need to mash, i do have 20l crystal malt (grain) should i use some of this for the enzymes or maybe a cup or two of dme? thanks!

Wheat malt must be mashed

Crystal malt has no enzymes

Regular malt extract has no enzymes

Mash the wheat malt between 148 and 156 for at least 30 minutes, or just use all extract.

if wheat malt has no enzymes dont i have to add barley malt for the enzymes for the mash process? thanks again!

great! if i dont mash it properly ill just expect a higher og, maybe 1.020 9i forgot what the o stands for.

If you don't mash correctly, you can expect a LOWER OG(original gravity).

Put the grain in 165* water at a ratio of 1.25 qts/lb of grain. After adding the grain, you water temp should drop to about 153-156*. Hold it at this temp for 60 minutes.

The malting process creates the enzymes. It does not convert starches to sugars, that's what mashing is for. Wheat malt must be mashed. It has enzymes and can convert itself. Flaked wheat, on the other hand, cannot.

Crystal malts do not have any enzymes.

You can steep the carawheat but as a caramel/crystal malt, it will not convert its starches to sugars like base malts. I am not that familiar with caramel wheat malt, but caramel barley malt will add color, flavors, and sweetness (the details depend on the darkness of the crystal malt). I would expect the carawheat to be similar; you should be able to find details on the Weyermann website.

Thanks Scotty,
I will try steeping caramel wheat malt with a Dunkelweizen extract brew, and let you guys know how it turns out....

Back