Need recipe advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to formulate a recipe for a creative beer. I have made mostly traditional beers (Pale Ale, IPA, Stout, and Irish Red) and now I want to expiriment with some unusual ingredients. I thought I would try a fruit beer first...how does this recipe sound? I have never brewed a fruit beer or wheat beer before, am definitely open to suggestions...

Pom-Wheat Beer:

8 pounds Wheat Malt
5 Pounds Pilsner Malt
.5 Pound Light Munich Malt
Rice Hulls if needed
approx 1 gal ($$$ ouch) 100% natural Pomegranate Juice added to wort directly after boil and steeped for 15 minutes

Mash for 80-90 minutes at 155 degrees.

1 0zHallertau @ 60
.5 0zHallertau @ 15

Wyeast Weihenstephan (?)

Won't the pomegranate juice ferment out? What kind of a flavor will you be left with? Maybe add it to the secondary to save the flavor. I never made a fruit beer so these are just my ignorant observations. - Dirk

Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat beer is actually very tasty. I am also looking for a pomegranate wheat recipe. Can I take any old wheat recipe and add pomegranate juice or is there a particular recipe that would be best for such an addition? When in the process and in how much quantity should I add the juice?

Here's what the Saranac site says about their Pomegranate Wheat regarding the recipe:

Malt Selections: 2 Row Malt, White Wheat Malt
Hop Selections: Columbus
Alcohol By Volume: 4.7%
Original Gravity: 11.5

Primary fermentation will eliminate almost all of the pom flavor. I would add it to a secondary, which will cause a second fermentation, to keep more flavor. Without using fruit extract it is very hard to keep a lot of the fruit flavor unless you can add it, chill it, and keg it to stop the yeast from consuming the sugars.

+1 on using American wheat yeast, I suggest adding it to bottling bucket before bottling, and if you keg do what the above poster mentioned.

Back