Jokster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeerman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Yeast cultured from North Coast Pranqster
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 - 68F ramped to 75F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
keg condition 34F 14 Days
Tasting Notes
Slightly fruity pleasant aroma. Very nice beer.
My wife wanted me to try to clone North Coast Pranqster for her birthday. So I had 2 months to come up with a recipe to accomplish that and get it fermenting for the party. I found a few people talking about making this beer. They all went in different directions. I took them all plus standard Belgian Golden Strong recipes and used beer smith to make something out of lots of info from all over. To make the project fun I went and bought two 4 packs of Pranqster and harvested the yeast from 8 bottles. I built that yeast up into about a half pint of yeast and used that in one 5 gallon batch while the other I used a 1.5 liter starter and a smack pack of 1388. I probably over pitched both by a little but the beer came out great.

Batch Size: 10 Gal
Boil Size: 13.5 Gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
79.3% 23# Pilsner US
6.9% 2# White Wheat Malt
3.4% 1# Munich 10L
3.4% 1# Flaked Wheat
6.9% 2# Table Sugar

3 oz. Liberty (FWH)
2 oz. Tetnang 30 Minutes

Mash at 1.25 qts/lb for 75 min @ 148F Sparge with 168F water to get 13.5 gallons into boil kettle.

...... packs of Pranqster and harvested the yeast from 8 bottles. I built that yeast up into about a half pint of yeast and used that in one 5 gallon batch while the other I used a 1.5 liter starter and a smack pack of 1388. I probably over pitched both by a little but the beer came out great.

How did it come out?

It's okay...I don't like to read either. I'm more of a picture guy too. :ban::ban: :tank:

I bought a bomber of Pranqster and did a side by side the other night.

My beer came out with nice fruity earthy aromas and a silky smooth mouth feel. Mine is a little lighter probably because I used pilsner instead of 2 row. Tasted really good.

pranq-jokster.jpg

I did a Pranqster alike also. It was pertty close to your recipe, but I used Belgian pils and Belgian Pale, instead of all pils. The Munich and wheat were pretty close to the same percentages.to what you did.

I used a combo of 1214 and 3787. A small starter for the .1214 to get it going and just a smack pack of 3787.

Turned out great.

Yours sounds good. I should try culturing some Pranqster yeast.

I bought a bomber of Pranqster and did a side by side the other night.

My beer came out with nice fruity earthy aromas and a silky smooth mouth feel. Mine is a little lighter probably because I used pilsner instead of 2 row. Tasted really good.

WOW! That's a great side by side comparison. The color is unnoticeable. Great work.

I did a Pranqster alike also. It was pertty close to your recipe, but I used Belgian pils and Belgian Pale, instead of all pils. The Munich and wheat were pretty close to the same percentages.to what you did.

I used a combo of 1214 and 3787. A small starter for the .1214 to get it going and just a smack pack of 3787.

Turned out great.

Yours sounds good. I should try culturing some Pranqster yeast.

Yeah I found a few different clone recipes and some Golden strong recipes. Then took a little bit from each one to build my recipe.

Back