Dallas Group Buy- Blacklands Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
So I know we have been pretty much shut out of the normal group buys we did a few times in the past. I am thinking of trying to organize a small group buy for Blackland Malts, out of Leander, TX. This is the only place in the state to buy TX grown, TX malted grain. I know that doesn't matter to some people, but I sure think it would be cool to use malt grown and malted here in state. He doesn't deliver but he will sell to homebrewers and we would just need to pick it up. I go to Austin about once a month and could pick this up on my way back up. Bulk pricing kicks in at 500 pounds, and he only sells in 50# sacks. He currently has 2-row, red winter wheat, and smoked malt available. Pricing is not super cheap compared to our old group buys, before 500# it is $1.25 per # for the 2-row and wheat, and $2 for the smoked malt. Above 500# the pricing is $1 per lb for the 2-row and wheat. The good news is there is no shipping but I'll probably ask for a buck or 2 per bag for the gas. Post in here or PM me if you are interested in picking up a bag or 2. I'm going to be picking up 2 bags whether or not we get to the 500# level, so if you are willing to pay a little more we can make this happen regardless of how much we buy.

So I know we have been pretty much shut out of the normal group buys we did a few times in the past

Who's we and what do you mean we've been shut out of group buys? I'm just now getting into AG and would like to participate.
(edit) looked into it. Looks like some lhbs complained to the distributor and they in turn stopped selling directly to homebrewers.

FYI there is still a DFW group buy it just isn't run through this site.

Where is that?

I'd also like to know who has a group buy going, my son is getting married in April and wants me to brew all of the beer, lol.

This deal seems to have been deaf for a while, someone posted that there is a group by being done outside of HBT but couldn't find the details.

If anyone is willing to take up the reins on this one (I'm in the middle of a house remodel and can't), I can point you in the right direction. A business licence is required ($75ish unless you have one already), but that would be covered by co-op fees over time.

Back