Brown Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel1980

Reaction score
I was wondering if adding a cup of brown sugar to my already week old fermenting cider was a bad idea? I realize this might be a stupid question so please be gentle.

It will increase the alcohol content a smidge...and prolong the process a little, but I really don't see why it would be a bad idea...

It will increase the alcohol content a smidge...and prolong the process a little, but I really don't see why it would be a bad idea...

Agreed. Not a bad idea at all. I think your yeasties will even appreciate being fed NOW instead of in the beginning. I love the flavor that brown sugar adds to cider. It's subtle, but gives a nice little caramel hint.

No issues. You didn't change it very much either. Unless this is a 1 gallon batch (would still be subtle).

How much could I add to a 5 gal batch to make a difference in flavor? I started the batch with 2 cups of cane sugar and 5 gal of apple juice....or should I just add this on bottling day for flavor?

In my experience, 2 Cups (loosely packed brown sugar) in 5 gallons usually adds about .010 points.

So if I start with 1.050...2 cups will usually raise my gravity to 1.060

I should be using weight for this, but since it doesn't have to be exact, I just eyeball it ;)

(The disclaimer is...my measurements might be different that yours)

I added 2/3 of a cup of brown sugar to my first Apfelwein and didn't pick out any flavors. I added 1 lb (2.3 cups) to my second and its more noticeable but not dominant. I ended up with an OG of 1.062 for this second batch, but I also added 3 cans of frozen apple concentrate and a tidge of splenda.

How much could I add to a 5 gal batch to make a difference in flavor? I started the batch with 2 cups of cane sugar and 5 gal of apple juice....or should I just add this on bottling day for flavor?

You won't pick it out easily, brown is nothing more than cane with molasses added back in. Want that flavor add molasses.

Back