Suggested Priming Volume for Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've been fermenting a Muntons Wheat Beer. I added a bag of DME also at the beginning of fermentation. I't been two weeks now and has finished fermentation. I went to the primer calculator this AM to find out how much priming volume. I put in the selection for Wheat Beer and was shocked to see such high volumes of sugar. I don't want to make a bunch of bottle bombs.

Any suggestions of sugar volume to add?

I'm thinking 2.5 oz would do the trick.

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the batch size. If 5 gallons, 2.5oz of corn sugar would be way under carbed. A wheat beer is usually on the high side of carbonation, 2.5 volumes of CO2 would be on the low side and that would require about 5oz of corn sugar.

What is the batch size. If 5 gallons, 2.5oz of corn sugar would be way under carbed. A wheat beer is usually on the high side of carbonation, 2.5 volumes of CO2 would be on the low side and that would require about 5oz of corn sugar.

My batch is 6 gallons. My last batch, which was a European Lager, was way over carbinated. I lost 3 bottles and I had a heck of a time drinking it as I had to pour over into a pitcher to degass before drinking. I don't want that to happen again.

The calculator was real high, calling for 10 oz. Why is it that some beers will carbonate with 2 oz while others require so much?

The batch size is 6 gallons...

Thanks again for feedback.

I find that 1oz per gallon usually gets me to the carb level that I like. You may want to increase it to 1.5oz if you'd like an especially effervescent wheat beer.

First recommendation, pick up a cheap digital scale at Walmart, Target, etc., and measure your priming sugar by weight rather than by volume.

If the calculator you're looking at seems way off, you might want to try a different one. Using Northern Brewer's calculator, a 6 gallon batch at 72F at 2.6 volumes would be 5.81 oz of corn sugar. 3.2 volumes would be 7.74 oz.

Latest posts

Back