Horned Mash Paddle from Hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unreal, man. That paddle is totally metal.

My only worry would be down near the bottom where the gaps get very narrow - might be kind of difficult to clean. Either way, I'd be happy to both mash with that AND take it to see Behemoth next Monday :rockin:

Unreal, man. That paddle is totally metal.

My only worry would be down near the bottom where the gaps get very narrow - might be kind of difficult to clean. Either way, I'd be happy to both mash with that AND take it to see Behemoth next Monday :rockin:

Why would you need to clean a mash paddle?

DubbelDach said:
Why would you need to clean a mash paddle?

Rotting spent grain (even in small amounts) smells like a dirty butt hole.

Cleaning that paddle would be a huge priority especially if you want to display in your house.

Looks awesome. You should consider customizing paddles.

I'm about to graduate from college and am considering turning my old fraternity paddle into a mash paddle.

Thanks guys!

Completely agreed on the narrow gaps. After the initial cut I went through the points with a dremel carving bit and got it pretty smooth and wide enough that you can roll a half-dollar through. Your right, it would still take special attention though, but i was hoping just a good garden hose sprayer on "jet".

UNFORTUNATELY, it' won't ever mash. The stock i got was dead/dry/dying whatever in the middle and the more i cut/sanded the more it became evident on one side of the paddle. I've already gone through the angry/depressed/denial stages about it and have decided that it would just be stained and hung.

Here's a closeup of the greek tradgedy that is now officially the "back side" of the paddle:
0412badwood.jpg

Dead/dry and porus. Would be like a saltine cracker in a mash.

So i'm just going to keep on detailing the front and maybe make a plaque or something to hang it on. My initial thought on what the plaque would read is an inscription that reads: "Heaven won't take me, and Hell only wants my beer."

Not doing much with it today though, it's bottling day.

Picked up a wood burning tool from the local department store for 10 bucks.

Thanks again to tom_gamer for the idea of burning the vine design into the wood.

0413burnedvine.jpg

Just some touch-up shading left to do on the leaves but all in all i think it turned out pretty slick.

Awesome work! Before you totally discard the idea of that paddle ever seeing mash you might give a hand rubbed finish a shot. Tung oil is my favorite and when done properly it penetrates very deeply and could very well seal up and bind together all the porosity of that one dry spot.

If you don't know, you hand rub extremely thin layers of tung oil into the wood such that there is no excess to wipe off. You can sand with 0000 steel wool between coats but nothing more coarse than that. Then comes the tedium: a coat a day for a week, a coat a week for a month, a coat a month for a year, a coat a year for life. Around the 1 month mark it should be so deeply penetrated that you change your mind about it being strictly ornamental plus the grain texture becomes three dimensional and amazingly gorgeous. Food for thought!

Thanks for the info ChemE. So there's hope! I'll definitely try it I just didnt think anything would close these porus spots up. Also i was looking for a finisher/stain anyway so if tung oil makes the grain pop then i'm all for it and if it repairs this dry stuff then it's a bonus.

Thanks!

Hey my pleasure! I hope it works for your since it would be a shame for that paddle not to taste mash. One last tip on tung oil, the crap that Blows and Home Despot sell is not suitable for fine woodworking; it is cut heavily with solvent which dissolves the previous coat when you reapply. You want 100% tung oil from Rockler or others. Shipping is a killer since it is hazmat (funny since it is food safe and comes from food; its a pH thing) but it is worth it.

Another great tip! I would have just grabbed some from lowes. However, I'm lucky enough to have a woodcraft around and they carry the pure tung oil made by wood river so looks like i'm set! Thanks so much!

+1 on the tung oil. I use it on my workbench and it's luscious.

[ The bench is made from maple and poplar - if tung oil can penetrate that maple, it'll get into anything. Bench was made from part a a bowling alley lane... side-nailed maple 1x3s. ]

Thanks guys. I'll definitely go that route.

Quick update pics.

My wife gave me the idea to carve out rope-type paterns on the blocks holding the horns to make it look like they're tied onto the paddle. Here's the cutouts... will be burning the rope pattern in.

The top of the paddle will be my brewery name "Big T's Brewhouse" relief carved and i'll be carving out "Brewhouse" inlay style and burning in the barley.

Rope pattern & Top Handle still in works:
0415tophandle.jpg

Full monty to give a good idea of how it will look finished:
0415fulmonty.jpg

All done minus a little sanding and of course the tung oil applications. I'll post a before and after pic in a couple weeks.

Full frontal:
0418_finished.jpg

Top handle:
0418tophandle.jpg

Hop vine design:
0418vine.jpg

Weave grip:
0418grip.jpg

Paddle:
0418paddle.jpg

Thanks guys!

I've been playing around with woodworking at a beginner level for a couple years but never really got into carving until a couple months ago. Just got into burning from a tip from this thread from tom_gamer.

I used to draw alot as a kid though.

Thanks guys!

I havnt had a chance to get into the city and get the tung oil yet. I'm planning on getting up there this weekend and starting the process. Will definitely post updated pics of before and after.

Back