Founders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Why did it take me so long to try Founders? Awesome beers!! Shame on me for not doing so sooner. Hopefully I won't get run out of the Midwest for admitting this.

I can't find Founders anywhere in NJ. I really wanna try the breakfast stout, and I found a great sounding recipe for a stew based on it.

I can't find Founders anywhere in NJ. I really wanna try the breakfast stout, and I found a great sounding recipe for a stew based on it.

They carry Founders out near me, although, I haven't seen their Breakfast Stout out here in awhile.

One of the plusses to living in Michigan is all the amazing beers brewed here. Founder's Dirty Bastard is one of my favorites. Meijer often has it on sale for under $9 a six pack.

One of the drawbacks of moving to Alaska is that Founders isn't on the shelf! They have many great beers.....I would like to add their Red Rye IPA to the list.

KBS is one of my faves. Old curmudgeon and better half are great and dirty bastard and backwoods bastard are also great beers

I haven't had many Founders beers, but every one I've had has been REALLY good. The Breakfast Stout is phenomenal. The bottle shop down the street got a couple cases of KBS, and they sold out in 14 minutes. Gone before I even knew it was there.

Funny - I had my first Founders last night. The Double Trouble - very hoppy - very good!

I've honestly only had 3-4 beers EVER at Founders that I didn't enjoy.

Spite
Kolsch
Munich Man
Probably one more... but meh.

All only available on tap, so yea. Great brewery.

Their barrel ageing program is phenomenal! If you are lucky, sometimes they have 3 on tap. Barrel aged double trouble... delicious.

IMO their malt forward beers are best. Best porter in the country.

Of the porters I have tried, I would have to agree.

Their barrel ageing program is phenomenal! If you are lucky, sometimes they have 3 on tap. Barrel aged double trouble... delicious.

HECK YES. This is why I ALWAYS make it to the black party. They had 6 bourbon aged beers on tap this year. Both KBS and CBS, Rock You Like a Maple Cane (So gooood), etc.

I've never had a bad beer from Founders. Their porter is my favorite year-around beer of all time. The breakfast stout is amazing too.

I've had their porter and I will never forget that experience. Awesome.

founders-brewing-company-founders-porter.jpg

Breakfast Stout is one of my overall favorites! KBS is amazing too but too rare to fall in love with. We are fortunate to have more than our ample supply of Founders. Breakfast Stout was on the shelves well into April/May. Yum...

Love Founders. Hate their bottles. By far the thinnest of the brands I regularly buy.

I have been loving Founders lately also. The Frangelic Mountain Brown was one of the best beers I've had lately. It's a shame that I didn't drink Founders for a long time. When they were still a relatively new brewery(around 1998), I tried a few of their beers and HATED them. Can't remember which ones, but some would be OK and some would be DMS or diacetyl galore( I did not know what DMS or diacetyl were at the time, I just knew the beer was no good. Now that I brew, I know what it was. The awfulness of those beers really stuck with me). I wrote off Founders for good. It wasn't until years later when I got involved with a girl from Grand Rapids (now my wife) who insisted I go to their bar. I fell in love with Founders that night. Every beer I tried was outstanding. Since then, Founders is one of my regular purchases when my pipeline is running low. There must have just been some QC issues when they started out. Or maybe it was their old facility - by the time I went there they had moved to the new location. Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I think my story has a good message : never write off a new brewery when some of their initial offerings suffer from QC issues. It is tough when you're starting out, it takes a while to get everything consistently right. I missed out on years of good beer because of my initial judgement of them.

Love Founders. Hate their bottles. By far the thinnest of the brands I regularly buy.

Not sure what you mean. Thinnest bottles? I just bottled a whole batch into Founders bottles, so I hope you don't mean they break easily. I've dropped whole full bottles from waist height and it didn't crack.

Not sure what you mean. Thinnest bottles? I just bottled a whole batch into Founders bottles, so I hope you don't mean they break easily. I've dropped whole full bottles from waist height and it didn't crack.

They're quite light, and feel a bit flimsy compared to, say, SN bottles. It's a goofy thing to be annoyed about, however, and I totally get how it's stupid.

I just bottled a Founders Breakfast Stout clone from BYO recipe and the recipe posted on here. Tasted great going into the bottles. Now I can have Breakfast Stout year round!!!!

Latest posts

Back