calling all disc golfers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the note of strange rules, one of my faves is the 'broken disc' rule, 803.03 'e', if a disc breaks in flight, the largest part of the shattered disc is considered the lie.

Hilarious. I wonder if someone could some how make a disc break to their advantage with this rule.

Haha, I hadn't heard that one. Funny! I would hate to see a broken disc, I had heard of the dx breaking or folding, but haven't seen it myself.

moscoeb said:
Any throw is legal as long as you release at or before the lie. I think there might be a rule for a run up distance when not throwing from the tee box.

Oh hell yeah, I truly have an Ace to my name, haha! No but I really need to get back out there and play a few rounds. I know exactly where my discs are. And what a great sport to pair with some homebrew.

Haha, I hadn't heard that one. Funny! I would hate to see a broken disc, I had heard of the dx breaking or folding, but haven't seen it myself.

Trust me, when its below zero outside the discs get reeeeeeeeeal brittle. Even still, I have only seen it twice in 15 years of golfing. Never in a tournament round where we actually care about the rules though! :rockin:

Sippin37 said:
Oh hell yeah, I truly have an Ace to my name, haha! No but I really need to get back out there and play a few rounds. I know exactly where my discs are. And what a great sport to pair with some homebrew.
Awesome! I've been reeeaaaly close a time or two, but still waiting for that ace!
davekippen said:
Trust me, when its below zero outside the discs get reeeeeeeeeal brittle. Even still, I have only seen it twice in 15 years of golfing. Never in a tournament round where we actually care about the rules though! :rockin:

It kills my fingers when it's too cold!

I dont play when its that cold anymore. Or in the snow. I need to move somewhere warm! I do go to Bowling Green every year with some buddies for the big tourney. Thats a nice spring trip for us!

davekippen said:
I dont play when its that cold anymore. Or in the snow. I need to move somewhere warm! I do go to Bowling Green every year with some buddies for the big tourney. Thats a nice spring trip for us!

I haven't played in bg, I've been up south of cinci and I live in richmond outside of Lexington. So I've played all those courses.
Bg have any good ones?

Haven't broken one yet but have tacoed them against trees. You can see them bend on impact. They flatten back out okay.

So I'm looking to get into the sport after finding a course at the city park walking distance from my house.

I was looking at a FRISBEE GOLF INNOVA BUILD YOUR OWN STARTER SET 6 DISCS auction on ebay and was overwhelmed with the choices. I'd hate to buy the "wrong" disc and have it ruin the hobby for me.

Can you guys recommend some disc?

Honestly, just starting out in the game, you won't notice a lot of difference. Pick a Driver, a mid range and a putter. Start with those and learn how you throw. Then add 1 at a time for what you think you need. Also, as you meet people, they'll recommend discs to you based on how you throw and what not. It also depends on course. I've been playing 3-4 years and carry about 7-8 discs. I honestly throw 4-5. 2 of those are putters.

Also, I'd skip the DX plastic and go right for Champion or Star. They feel better in your hand and about the time you get used to how the DX discs fly, they'll start wearing and flying different. You'll be happier with 3 Champion or Star discs than 6 DX IMO. Our Dunhams has starter packs. Like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

I totally agree with IP, keep it simple to start. There's tons of instructional vids on YouTube and such, check out the ones on the basic throws and types of discs, really helpful.
As your game develops, you'll learn what type of discs work best for ya. I'd say to start, look for stable discs (discs with a "0" or near "0" stability rating), moderate weight, somewhere around 170gms (usually written in pen on the bottom of the disc), and pick discs that have a nice feel to the plastic, not too tacky, but not too slick either.
Start with just a few discs, a driver, a midrange (approach) and a putter (IMO, the softer and tackier, the better to putt with) and get out and throw a lot, even if it's just practicing in a field. Work on both backhand (traditional frisbee throw) and forehand (flick) type throws to see what works best for you. (most players use both fore and backhand, but find one is most comfortable) And play a lot. Within a season or two, you'll have a good idea if you'll want to use over or under stable discs, or stick with the stable discs. And you'll get a good idea of what you prefer as far as plastics (there's a ton of different plastics, all have pros and cons, IMO)
Most importantly, HAVE FUN! Disc golf is a riot, fun even if you're stinkin' it up. Just like ball golf, it takes a lot of repetitive practice to master, so be patient and have fun. :mug:

I agree, work on both throws. I throw Forehand (sidearm or flick) whenever possible, but sometimes a backhand is necessary despite only being able to throw it half as far.

Meh, I disagree about the high end plastic preference. The only time I prefer it is in high speed drivers... which beginners should not be throwing anyway. DX type plastic has better grip, more glide, and is is often longer as a result. Putters, mids, and fairway drivers all hold up well in base plastic.

P.S. I prefer playing in the winter... the trees are "skinnier" then ;)

509inc said:
So I'm looking to get into the sport after finding a course at the city park walking distance from my house.

I was looking at a FRISBEE GOLF INNOVA BUILD YOUR OWN STARTER SET 6 DISCS auction on ebay and was overwhelmed with the choices. I'd hate to buy the "wrong" disc and have it ruin the hobby for me.

Good middle of the road discs are
Driver: eagle, cheetah,
Mid: roc
Putter: they are all pretty much the same for a beginner.

Those are the best in my opinion for newbies, you will adjust as you learn and get better. Those discs are forgiving and I still use them consistently, but for my understable discs now.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Anyone in OK ever play Woodson Park?

Also, I'd skip the DX plastic and go right for Champion or Star. They feel better in your hand and about the time you get used to how the DX discs fly, they'll start wearing and flying different. You'll be happier with 3 Champion or Star discs than 6 DX IMO. Our Dunhams has starter packs. Like this one.

That set is the same price for half the disc. I hear you on the plastic type though. Since I have to include my girl in the hobby the 6 disc is the route for me because it would be tough to play a round having to share the same disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say 6 discs are too many for a new player, but since you're supplying 2 people, go for the ebay deal. You can always supplement with better/different discs as needed. Enjoy.

Went to the store and got two sets of discs. Leopard, Shark, Aviary.

+1 on the Leopard suggestion. I personally don't throw it, but I've seen a lot of new players throw this disc very well.

Some other really good entry level discs (IMHO of course):
I'll spare you the different plastics and just go with make and model.

Drivers
Innova Cheetah
Innova Dragon
Innova Kite
Innova Valkyrie
Innova Archangel (and when it wears out it makes a beast roller)

Midrange
Innova Stingray
Innova Shark
Innova Roc
Discraft Buzz
Discraft Comet

Putters
Innova Aviar
Innova Magnet

Of course, I am partial to Innova and you really have to play and find out what you like and what you don't. Weight is also very important starting out. If you're a smaller dude and have a weak arm I'd experiment in the 150-160 range until you get comfortable.

A good thing to do is go to a place like Play It Again Sports or something similar. They usually carry a lot of pre-owned discs so you can see what feels good in your hand and what doesn't. It is a lot cheaper than buying new discs and it gives you an idea of what you're actually going to be throwing instead of it being a surprise on delivery day.

But most of all, go out and make a good time of it. As long as you're having a good time, your discs don't really matter.

I started out with a used Star Orc and took it from there. It was my driver, my midrange, and my putter. By default I throw LHBH, but after a while I started getting comfortable with forearm and thumbers on certain holes.

I agree 100% with NordeastBrewer77 about working on different types of throws and playing as much as you possibly can. You will get better. It will take your game to the next level and it will make your experience out on the course that much more enjoyable.

Got lucky on #9 at Idlewild with a putter throw. :D

01.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

509inc said:

Those are good starters, you will be happy about them. Learn the difference in under stable and over stable so you can decide what discs to add to you collection as time goes on. And your throw will improve making a more stable disc less stable as you get better.

Good choices! I'm don't throw many Innova Discs, but I'm a big fan of the Avair. I also threw a Champion Leopard for years, and really liked it. I'm much more partial to Discraft, but there's some Innova discs out there that can't be beat, I really like their Millennium line of discs and use my Omega putter and Aurora MS middy quite a bit.
I was thinking about some good basics for a beginner to keep in mind and came up with a few. First off, work on control and accuracy. Discs will fly far if you throw them right, and IME a disc thrown softly but in a controlled manner will fly farther that one that's thrown extremely hard but without regard for stable flight. Keep your bodyweight balanced as you wind up and throw, and be sure to release the disc on a level plane and with a good amount of spin. This allows the disc to do the bulk of the work for you. Arm speed and strength is secondary, and will only be beneficial if you have good control of your throws.
Second, pay close attention to the natural 'fade' of your throws (the way the disc tails to the side at the end of flight). When you've developed consistent throwing mechanics, the fade will be consistent as well and you can choose your throws, or even your disc stability to take your fade into consideration. I.E., For me as a lefty forehand thrower, a '0' stable disc will fly straight and then fade hard to the left. If I throw a slightly over stable disc, say +.5 to +1.5, it's flight path will 'turn' the disc slightly to the right before it fades back left. The exact opposite happens if I throw backhand, so an under stable disc will 'turn' before fading back to center. When it comes to disc stability, 'turn' and 'fade', lefty forehand = righty backhand and vis versa. Last, as we always say in brewing, K.I.S.S.!!! Throw discs and courses that you're familiar with and throw them often. Make everything become's second nature. It's just like ball golf in that respect, you want the same result every time you make the same throw with the same disc. This will help a whole lot when you're choosing new discs and when playing new courses. :rockin:

Just got back from playing our first round. Was very windy out there. The girl and I had a great time together. The park is in the ghetto so we couldn't tell which basket was which due to graffiti and no maps but we made the best of it.

So, I'm going to bump this thread with my latest disc golfing (sort of) story. I've spend the last fews weeks not golfing due to the strangest broken bone I've ever had. I'm predominantly a forehand thrower off the tee, and my follow through has me dragging my left toes as I release my disc. During one of these throws my foot caught on a hole on an asphalt pad, and my left big toe broke, bad (the throw was good, ~280' straight out to the middle of the fairway). The joys of getting older, eh! I actually didn't notice it until I'd finished the round (it happened on the 9th tee), but as soon as my shoes came off I could see how crooked my toe was. :eek: It was so swollen that I couldn't get it to pop back in place for a week, or when I could it'd pop right back out. :eek::eek: but the other day I was taking my grandfather to a doctor's app't and when I was helping him get his power chair back into the van, it snapped back into place for good.... whatta f'n relief....
Anyhow, after testing it out in a game of hacky sack with my boys last night, I'm planning on getting back out to play sometime this week..... finally! :rocking:

Just thought I'd share in my discovery of how to actually break a bone huckin' discs. :D Anyone else had a flukey injury happen on the course?

:mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
So, I'm going to bump this thread with my latest disc golfing (sort of) story. I've spend the last fews weeks not golfing due to the strangest broken bone I've ever had. I'm predominantly a forehand thrower off the tee, and my follow through has me dragging my left toes as I release my disc. During one of these throws my foot caught on a hole on an asphalt pad, and my left big toe broke, bad (the throw was good, ~280' straight out to the middle of the fairway). The joys of getting older, eh! I actually didn't notice it until I'd finished the round (it happened on the 9th tee), but as soon as my shoes came off I could see how crooked my toe was. :eek: It was so swollen that I couldn't get it to pop back in place for a week, or when I could it'd pop right back out. :eek::eek: but the other day I was taking my grandfather to a doctor's app't and when I was helping him get his power chair back into the van, it snapped back into place for good.... whatta f'n relief....
Anyhow, after testing it out in a game of hacky sack with my boys last night, I'm planning on getting back out to play sometime this week..... finally! :rocking:

Just thought I'd share in my discovery of how to actually break a bone huckin' discs. :D Anyone else had a flukey injury happen on the course?

:mug:

Wow! I bet that sucked!!
I've seen some people throw and hit a tree with their hand hard enough I thought for sure it was broke, but never seen anything other than some sprained ankles.

Wow! I bet that sucked!!
I've seen some people throw and hit a tree with their hand hard enough I thought for sure it was broke, but never seen anything other than some sprained ankles.

Yeah, a buddy of mine broke his finger like that a few years ago, cracked it on the hole number sign on his follow through.

So I've been back out and playing for the last ~month or so and have really been throwing well. I think the time off may have helped get my head out of the game and has helped my throwing mechanics a lot. I'm back to the nice, compact forehand I was throwing last year, maybe ~300 ft of the tee. I played Kaposia Park the other day and threw +1, which is amazing on that course, it's one of the longest I've ever played. I'll be playing Ham Lake DGC tomorrow, a course I usually hover around par on and am fairly familiar with. I'm exited to see if I can have a solid, under par round. I'd like to play in a few amateur tourneys this summer, but the way I started this year out, I didn't think my game was there. After playing Kap for the first time in a year on Thurs., my game my be coming around! :rockin:

Oh, my distance and drives suck. Or, actually I have none.
I can hold a decent short game though.
I recently got turned onto MVP plastic.
I LOVE my anodes! ($ one above)

I am a big glow golf guy, used to work 2nd shift and practice around neighborhood late with my portable basket.
I have lots of glow champ plastic, yum!

Never seen home dyed discs, kinda cool

We used to take bobber lights and tape them to the center of the translucent discs and play night golf. It's a blast!

Anyone playing in the heat? I'm determined to throw some this week.

Yeah, I've been making it out here and there. We've actually had a good amount of rain over the last week, so it's gotten insanely muggy, but ya still gotta get out.
Went out and played a round yesterday, +1 due to a horrible tee shot on a ~685 ft par 5; tee shot went right in the creek beside the fairway, recovered the disc, but not the hole, took me 7 to get in on that one. A birdie after nearly hitting chains off the tee a few holes later redeemed my score a bit. :mug:

We used to take bobber lights and tape them to the center of the translucent discs and play night golf. It's a blast!

That's what I do too. I have a glow midrange, but it doesn't stay glowing long enough for a whole round. Bobber lights or glow stick necklaces work really well.

I dig the home dyed discs, I've seen a few clubs that do that to their's, pretty cool. :mug:

I keep a UV blacklight LED flashlight in my bag.
Charging up the glow discs only takes a few seconds and they will glow long enough for me to get to it for next throw.
I have a few of MVP's eclipse glow discs where only the rim glows.
That stuff glows a lot brighter and longer than Innova glow champ.

I gave a few discs to a friend earlier.
I had a DX Kite 166g that always flipped on me and I also gave her a DX Cobra 150g (I have 2) and a 173 factory misprint MVP medium Ion.
She's a chick and hopefully her chick arm doesn't turn em over as much as my "man arm".
Just got a glow champ cobra.
Yep, that's right an Innova Cobra in GLOW Champion plastic! (~166g) :ban:
My DX cobras were pretty touchy from sweet hyzer flip to bad turnover.
Glow champ is more stable, I CAN hyzer flip it, but it only seems to turn over with wrist roll/bad form.

I have a hard time believing that far more experienced players than I aren't even familiar with custom dyed discs.
I have materials and contacts for some of the more precise work, and lots of glow champ plastic with the stamps rubbed off. :rockin:

I will be happy to show off my work.

(who can tell me what the logo is on my 1st pic, the purple marbled one? just for bonus points)

edit: anyone else throw MVP plastic?
I have 1 each of their 2 mids and several each of their 2 putters.
Haven't thrown the mids much yet but I love the Anode P & A. It is dead straight/mini S curve on a string on my forehand to I'd say 150'. I'm quickly becoming an MVP fanboy. Great discs with awesome glow and I can find unstamped discs for dyeing!

Latest posts

Back