temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonhagen1

Reaction score
so i looked and could not find an answer i have an upright freezer in the garage and was wondering if i need a two stage or will single work i will be useing it as a ferm chamber for a while then i will make it a kegerator thanks for the input

The dual will allow you to control the temperature very precisely with both heating and cooling as needed. You could get by with a single stage if you were willing to set it to cool when it is hot or heat when it is cold. Dual is ideal, single stage is workable.

its a freezer though wont it be cold enough all the time any way in other words cant i just set the temp where i want it as long as it is below 70 does ambient temp in the garage matter?

You don't want to ferment at too high or too low of a temperature. If the temperature in your garage drops too low you will need a way to heat your fermentation chamber. If the temperature in your garage raises too high you will need a way to chill your fermentation chamber. Obviously chilling is not a problem with freezer. Heating, on the other hand, requires some extra hardware.

When the freezer is plugged into a temp controller, it no longer acts as a freezer, your temp controller will tell the compressor or your heater whether it's time to turn on or not. Your chamber will always be fighting for equilibrium with the ambient air. This is of course true of a normally operating freezer as well.

Back