Munich Helles 2 Helles With It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saflager W-34/70
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 pckgs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
20.7 IBU
Color
3.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10@46 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 68 d-rest
Additional Fermentation
lagered 8 weeks
Tasting Notes
slightly sweet; malt dominates with lingering supporting hop bitterness
8.5# Weyermann Pilsner
1# Carapils
1# Vienna

0.25 oz Tettnang (4.2%) 60 minutes
0.5 oz Spalt (3.9%) 60 minutes
0.5 oz Spalt (3.9%) 30 minutes
0.5 oz Tettnang (4.2%) 30 minutes

Water adjustment with epsom salts and calcium chloride
Protein rest at 134
Rest at 141
Rest at 158
Decoct to mashout at 170

Aerated with pure O2 60 seconds

D-rest at 1.016.

Very pleased with how clear this beer is. The Vienna malt is really interesting--wasn't sure what to expect. Might try half a pound next time!

2 Helles With It.jpg

I normally don't brew german styles. The awesome name of this brew alone has inspired me to try. I can't Lager that cold though. Think it would be okay to ferment warmer? How warm is too warm?

I normally don't brew german styles. The awesome name of this brew alone has inspired me to try. I can't Lager that cold though. Think it would be okay to ferment warmer? How warm is too warm?

If you are going to try this beer; I would recommend cutting the carafoam back to half a pound and/or mashing a bit lower to keep the sweetness down.

I would use W-34/70 for this beer for fermentation temperature anywhere from 43-53 or so...as you go up more into the mid-50s, try S-23 instead if you are using dry yeast. Although at that temp and with that yeast, I would recommend my Fat Czech Pilsner recipe--really nice beer and everyone who tries it loves it (it's been aged a long time now).

Latest posts

Back