1 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I’m interested and trying mead but don’t want to tie up a fermenter for a year. I have a couple of one gallon glass jugs. Would it be reasonable to convert a typical 5 gallon recipe to 1 gallon and run with it? Anyone have any really simple recipes for a mead beginner?

Yes, mead does very well in small batches. When I've make mead, I make gallon batches. I've got a gallon that is about ready to bottle. (actually two gallons, but that's because I decided to turn it into a melomel by adding 12 pounds of blackberries after the honey fermented).

I have just done 2 one gallon batches and they are going well! ( I think)

Look through a few of these threds and I am sure you will find what you are lookin for!!!

Sorry I was going to post a link to a thread but I could not find it!!

There are alot more qualified people here than me to give advice..thanks you to all of them!

I also do mead (and alot of wines) in one gallon batches. It seems like mead takes FOREVER to age, and a one gallon jug is easiest to give up for a year or so. (Tip- Carlo Rossi jug wines are in a 4L jug, so it's a little bigger than a one gallon jug. Nice to start off with and then rack into a one gallon jug later.)

I routinely do one gallon batches with my brewing guild, you just need to scale down the honey to 2-3 lbs, less nutrient, less flavorings and of course, less water. You still need to use a packet of dry yeast, however.

Yep, you just have to do the math on it. Pretty simple.

Also, since there is less of everything else, it will usually take less time in the primary. If you add more honey and/or have yeast that can withstand a higher alcohol content, it takes a bit longer than using the bare minimum and bread yeast.

I have been using the Carlo Rossi 1gal jugs, since I can't find a local brewer shop to buy 5-6gal carboys from. The wine and mead come out just fine.

Back