Kegging under 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
How does this work exactly? For a 3 gallon batch for example, would it still be fine to force carb, just require a little more co2?

Just be sure to let the oxygen out by hooking up the CO2 at a low pressure and opening the relief valve a few times.

Other than that the CO2 will fill the empty volume in the same what that it does when the keg is emptying.

It will use less CO2 to carb 3 gals of beer than 5 gals. Same amount to dispense. Have fun with the kegging!

I often keg 3-4 gallons of a batch and bottle the rest. Like cfonnes mentioned, just purge the air (O2) out of the keg and you should be fine.

That's exactly what I want to do :)

How do I purge it out exactly? I'm using the standard hambleton bard refillable co2 cylinder on a pressure keg.

purging is just pulling the release valve at the top while the gas is connected. basically you want to push out the air and leave the void filled with Co2

-=Jason=-

Latest posts

Back