Steep 2 Row Pale Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
I have an extract recipe that calls for 1lb of pale malt (2 Row). I dont mash, so I guess I will be steeping this grain for about 30 minutes at 170 degrees. This is an ESB recipe, very close to the BYO Redhook clone.

What will I really be getting out of this step? Will it just be color? I was under the impression that Pale Malt had to be mashed.

170 is pretty close, of not extracing tannins... Id steep it at about 153 degres, you will get sugars and color, well, minimal color, it is pale malt, so anywhere from 1.8-3L

Brewpilot

If steeping in the brewpot, where you can add heat, just try to keep it 150-160 for an hour, then dunk the grain bag in the pot a few times. Should get some fermentables, maybe 50%.

If you "steep" 2-row at 150-160 you will be mashing...then you can say you DO mash. Its that easy! As a matter of fact, unless you do mash it, you won't convert starches to sugars, which will lead to hazy beer and offer food that only microbes can eat up (not a good thing). My advice would be to "steep" all your grains at 155*F, and in this case you'll be mini-mashing!

Nice! thanks for the quick responses!

anyone know what "mash profile" would i choose in BeerSmith to show this step. None seem to apply exactly.

cpbergie said:
Nice! thanks for the quick responses!

anyone know what "mash profile" would i choose in BeerSmith to show this step. None seem to apply exactly.

You could just change it from "extract" to partial mash, and then this step would be in there!

Single Infusion, No Mashout, Batch Sparge. Figure 50% efficiency in the box at the top of the recipe screen.

Back