Engineered polymer braid vs Stainless Steel Braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

So when creating my mashtun I screwed up and got the Engineered polymer braid rather than the stainless steel. Now I know there is a thread on here about Engineered polymer braid vs stainless, but my question is slightly different.

According to a video on how to create a mashtun, the people used 16 gauge wire spun around a pen and inserted it into the braid in order to maintain integrity. I have already done this...Do you think doing this would allow the polymer braid to work well as a filter?

Thanks

Kyle

So when creating my mashtun I screwed up.....

Sorry Kyle, your words. Sure you might get it to work, wouldn't surprise me. Some people brew quite a few batches with a polymer braid before trouble starts. For 5-10 bucks, I would highly advise getting an actual stainless braid that will work both better and longer...don't try any wheat w/ that falsie btw!

Oh and with regards to installing a wire to support the braid, I have never done this or felt the need. The right type of braid does just fine without help IME.

My advice is to suck up the loss and go over to where they have the water heaters in Lowes or Depot. They have a 1" diameter stainless braided hose over there. Nice sturdy stuff.

The problem is that the polymer braids simply can't take the heat. Rather than discovering this in the middle of a mash, it's best to make sure you have the right one from the get-go.

As someone who has had to stick his hand into 155 degree mash when his braid slipped off the spigot, it is no fun to to have to do stuff when your tun is full.

The problem is that the polymer braids simply can't take the heat. Rather than discovering this in the middle of a mash, it's best to make sure you have the right one from the get-go.

As someone who has had to stick his hand into 155 degree mash when his braid slipped off the spigot, it is no fun to to have to do stuff when your tun is full.

hehe, not laughing at you...My last mashtun fell apart and wort and grains were pouring into my boiling bucket, the only way to stop it was to stick my hand in the mash and re-insert my manifold...I feel your pain.

Alright, well, it was worth the question.

wilserbrewer, Thanks for the comment about the wheat, that is actually what i was planning on brewing...

I also messed up and bought the polymer one - stupid thing is colored to look like metal. After taking the tube out, I couldn't see how it would work very well. I just went to menards and bought a real SS one for 4 bucks. I thought about trying to reinforce it, but decided to see if it there was a problem with collapsing first. So far so good.

lol I just realized I did the same thing -- bought the polymer one instead of the SS. They shouldn't make it look so much like metal -- it's deceiving. I knew something was up when my cheap harbor freight dremel knock-off was cutting through it like butter!

GAH, I even told the guy at the hardware store I needed stainless and snipped it and I see cloth coming out of the frayed ends... -_-

Back