CO2 Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothreat

Reaction score
For Christmas I got a new drip tray and money to buy a new CO2 tank. I was looking at Micromatic and saw a 20# Aluminum for $115 and a 15# Steel one for $89. Is there a big advantage of one over the other other than 5# of CO2? I am cheap but I can be convinced to spend the extra $25 is there is a good reason. Is there a better source out there for tanks?

Craigslist, buy used - having bought my first tank new and then exchanging it at the welding supply shop brought tears to my eyes and several $#%# thoughts for the LHBS that did not mention that little fact to me. Obviously if you have a source that refills tanks then it is a different story. Really no reason however not to snag a great deal on a used tank.

If you keep your tank in the keezer/kegerator keep in mind steel rusts, especially on the bottom on older tanks and leaves rust marks. Steel is also heavier.

Before you drop cash on a shiny new tank, make certain you have a source that will fill your tank. My source will only exchange tanks. Which is fine by me. I had two steel tanks and he exchanged them for aluminum. He keeps the steel tanks for people who think steel is better.

What I do know: a full aluminum tank weights less than an empty steel one and they don't leave rust stains in the kegger.

Word of caution....If you buy a tank on Craigslist make sure that it isn't a Pepsi or Coca-Cola tank. I accidently bought a used 20# pepsi CO2 tank on Craigslist for $30 and my local Airgas, Norco and welding shops wouldn't exchange or fill it. Ended up eating the $30 and getting a shiny aluminum 20# CO2 at airgas for $125 (they have a sale on CO2 tanks going through the end of Jan).

not to mention craig's list tanks could be out of their testing period, requiring another $30 or so to get it re-certified.

the place I go only fills tanks one day a week, the rest is all exchanged, and you get a ratty old painted up steel tank half the time. you definitely wanna find a CO2 filling source first and see what their rules are.

sometimes you can just lease a tank from them for a security deposit, and then swap out quickly when you run low.

well if you really want to get into it the price of aluminum is way up and the price of steel is down so the cheapness in myself says go with steel and be happy knowing your alot safer in case of an act of GOD and the tank decides to go BOOM!!! plus you dont feel bad going to the gas shop and getting a ugly steel tank vs a weeker more purddy aluminum tanker...my twooth sence tells you

Back