Crankandstein 3 roller concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I was looking at malt mills from Crankandstein.

I was wondering what they are saying about the 3rd roller concept is anything to invest money in. This is what they are saying:

The third roller is smoother to reduce husk damage. The triangular configuration of the rollers forms two gap. The first fixed at .070" softens the grain interior and speeds up throughput. The adjustable second gap can then more readily open the husk and separate it from the starch. This promotes easier sparging and higher brewhouse efficiency.

Source: http://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=14

I thought this sounded like bollox, but I had to ask you experts to be sure! :)

Also, do you think that there is a point in getting stainless steel rollers rather than standard steel rollers?

Thank you for your time :mug:

Kind regards,
Marius

It is not bullocks. Because the first gap gives a light crush, it allows you to set the second gap tighter and not have the rollers bind up like the same gap setting would with just a pair of rollers. Now if you've got a motor with a large amount of torque, this would be less of an issue - or if you have gorilla arms

I have one and I like it. I don't have anything to comapre it too though. I do know a lot of people will mill their grain twice, the second time at a narrower setting, I think this just accomplishes that in a single pass.

I do get a very smooth consistent crush.

I would be interested to see a direct comparison. Anyone have both a 2 roller and a three roller and be willing to make the exact same batch twice to see if there is a substantial gain?

I think I am asking too much...

I too have been curious about 3 roller mills though. Just not sure I can justify it to myself.

The goal of milling is to separate the endosperm from the husk without damaging the husk. The 3-roller design supposedly does a better job at that. I haven't done a direct comparison, but the concept certainly makes sense.

I have seen ppl on this forum talk about 10-15% efficiency gain. That sounds crazy. Or do think otherwise?

I'll hear you final comments and then I decide :) M

10-15% efficiency gain going from 2-roller to 3-roller? Definitely not. It likely doesn't affect your efficiency at all.

Latest posts

Back