Critique - My First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerro

Reaction score
[SIZE=+3]Chemisch Blond 1[/SIZE]

Brewer: Nerro Yeast Brewferm "lager"
Beer: Chemisch Blond 1 Style: Belgian Pale Ale Type: Extract Size: 1.3 gallons Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM)
swatch.gif

Bitterness: 34 IBU OG: 1.051 FG: 1.010 Alcohol: 5.2% v/v (4.1% w/w)
Grain:
2.6 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
Boil:
minutes SG 1.082 0.8 gallons 22.6 oz. Light dry malt extract
Hops:
0.46 oz. Saaz (3.7% AA, 60 min.)
0.28 oz. Saaz (3.7% AA, 45 min.)
0.35 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh (4% AA, 10 min.)

[SIZE=-1] This web page generated by The Beer Recipator.

In intend this to be a nice hoppy pilsener-style beer but I worry that I might be overdoing it with the hoppiness. I'm happy with a potential ABV of ~5% and I think steeping these 2.6oz of cara-pils malt will add a nice amount of head and body to the beer.

I am however a complete n00b at brewing beer except from brewing from kits which I think is a little like sex with a condom, you can brag about it to your friends but it's not quite the real thing.

There is another thing I worry about, either I ferment outside (temp ~45F) or inside (temp ~68F). The recommended temp is 54F - 59F so it's either going to be high or low...
[/SIZE]

Ok, so after giving this a second look I see that you're using a lager yeast on an ale. I would suggest using a different yeast because Belgian Pale Ale is supposed to be fruity. Sorry, I saw lager yeast and assumed it was a recipe for a lager. I'd ferment it inside and put it in some cool water and drape a shirt over the top of the carboy. It's the ghetto swamp cooler! :)

IBU's should be between 20-30. 34 isn't overkill, but if you want to nail the style on the head lower your First hops just a tad. All the rest of your vitals look good though.

+1 use a different yeast if possible. But no harm in using what you have, you just wont be brewing to style or brewing what you think are brewing. It will taste great in the end.

Option two for ferment temp would be to ferment in the 45 degree room with a carboy wrap or heating pad to get it up in the 54 range. If your room is 45, you shouldnt have a problem getting up to 55ish with the heat from the fermentation and a heating pad or fermwrap.

I'm glad you'll taste great in the end ;)

The 45F is not a room, it's outside. I don't think it will be freezing again though. Would it be a good idea to put in in a cool-box with a lot of water to keep the temperature fluxtuations to a minimum? Can beer be fermented outside?

I've read that Pils needs to ferment at ~40F, outside it's between 32,5F - 42F here normally. I suppose I can protect the carboy from freezing by using the cool-box with a few gallons of water idea. Perhaps even wrapping it in Al-foil and a pair old towels might work?

Ha.. I fixed that, sorry.
I'm glad you'll taste great in the end ;)

The 45F is not a room, it's outside. I don't think it will be freezing again though. Would it be a good idea to put in in a cool-box with a lot of water to keep the temperature fluxtuations to a minimum? Can beer be fermented outside?

I've read that Pils needs to ferment at ~40F, outside it's between 32,5F - 42F here normally. I suppose I can protect the carboy from freezing by using the cool-box with a few gallons of water idea. Perhaps even wrapping it in Al-foil and a pair old towels might work?

If your 45 room doesnt stay consistent at 45, then you may have more problems. I was just giving you an option of warming the wort versus chilling. Either way will work, just find the most stable environment and then either chill with the wet tshirt and fan or warm with a heating pad/wrap.

Back