Bottled First Cider, No Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msinning

Reaction score
I bottled my first cider about two weeks ago. I just opened one and there is no trace of any carbonation. Should I have added extra sugar in the primary? It was in the primary for about one month and secondary for two weeks. Crystal clear, nice taste just no carb.

IF the yeast was still viable (cider not at/above the listed ABV tolerance of the yeast), but you didn't add more sugar at bottling, it won't carbonate in bottle. JUST like you do with beer (or pretty much anything). After 6 weeks, chances are the yeast ate everything in there it could.

Just like beers, 2 weeks is usually simply not enough for things to carb. ESPECIALLY high grav things like ciders where the yeast may be tired, and also in larger bottles. It will probably take a couple of months even to full carbed. Just be patient.

I bottled my first cider about two weeks ago. I just opened one and there is no trace of any carbonation. Should I have added extra sugar in the primary? It was in the primary for about one month and secondary for two weeks. Crystal clear, nice taste just no carb.

I don't see where you added any priming sugar. After 6 weeks of fermentation your cider would have been completely dry. You need to add appropriate amount of sugar at bottling to carbonate. (a good strong 1/2 cup / 5 gallons mixed thoroughly)

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did add priming sugar. I believe it was about 2.5 oz.

For what batch size? Depending on the ABV% and yeast used it could take some time to carbonate. Sample one bottle after three weeks at 70F, after chilling the bottle for an additional 5-7 days. If still no Carb, then give it another few weeks and sample again. High ABV beverages, depending on yeast used and such, can take some time to carbonate.

I used Whitelabs English cider yeast. I didn't really have a specific abv content in mind.

What was the OG and what was the or FG (you took readings, right)?? That yeast will go 8-12% (no info on where in that range it will land). Sounds like, from what I read on the White Labs site, it won't go above 12%. If you're at 12% already, then it won't carbonate with sugar/in bottles. If you're close to 12% for the final product, then it could just take time to carbonate. The normal 3 weeks at 70F is a minimum time you should plan on for a moderate ABV beverage. Higher ABV items will take longer to carbonate. Especially if the yeast is already close to it's limit.

At this point, I would just keep it at around 70-75F for another month, or two, and then test another bottle (chill it for a week before opening it).

Back