• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: 220v Extension Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TravelingBrewer22 said:
Anyone have one for sale?

How long and how many amps are you looking to support? I can make and ship you one but will need that info to know what size wire to calculate the cost.

I would make one myself but didn't know if it would be cheaper to make one rather than buy one.

I need 25-30' 10ga cord. If you guys have suggestions on where to pick up the wire then I can probably wire one up myself.

I will take that price quote from you though if you can wire one up reasonably.

I would make one myself but didn't know if it would be cheaper to make one rather than buy one.

I need 25-30' 10ga cord. If you guys have suggestions on where to pick up the wire then I can probably wire one up myself.

When I built one a while back, I went to the local electrical supply store, not a big-box store.

MC

TravelingBrewer22 said:

If you have the knowledge and a screwdriver, then it will certainly be cheaper for you to build it than for me to build it and ship it to you. For the two connectors and thirty feet of wire shipped in a large flat rate, you are looking in the neighborhood of $100. Figure $15 for the connectors, $45 for the wire, around $20 for beer money for putting it together and roughly $20 for the shipping.

The reason that I asked for the length and the amp pull is that you have to de-rate the cords for length and ampacity. They are inverse functions and you don't want your extension cord to be the weakest link and "blow" like a fuse. For the length and the type of wire you spec'd, you are looking at supporting around a 22-25 amp draw. If you need 30 amps, step up to a #8. I have seen a couple of good house fires caused by improper extension cord usage and just would't want to wish that on anyone.

I did, what I felt, was a fairly exhaustive search on this very topic. Ultimately, I went with Iron Box on eBay. I ended up getting a 50 foot long 10/4 cord, with twist lock ends, for about $75.

chuckjaxfl said:
I did, what I felt, was a fairly exhaustive search on this very topic. Ultimately, I went with Iron Box on eBay. I ended up getting a 50 foot long 10/4 cord, with twist lock ends, for about $75.

Be carful with voltage drop.

What's the load? 30a? Assuming your perfect at 220v at receptacle you'll lose about 4V through the cable.

Back