Cast Iron pizza pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I got this 14" cast Iron pan last Christmas, (from my wife of course) and use it for everything. You can roast potatoes in one layer, so they get crisp, or fry a ton of scallopini, or PIZZZA. I think it works way better than the stone.

Crispy on the bottom, and cooks evenly.

pizza.jpg

I love a good cast iron pan. My mom had one that was probably 18 inches across and fed a family of 8 out of that pan for years (chicken fried moose steaks, yum). As kids we used to bake Crazy Cake (chocolate cake) in it that was fantastic. It was a sad day when after having it for over 40 years she dropped it and it broke. I sadly have not found one that I was the same quality but my search continues.

That pizza looks good!

Skillet corn bread and coffee is a reason enough to get out of bed in the morning. I'm going to have to try the cast iron pizza. Maybe right now...

I love my cast iron cookware. My deep frying is done in a dutch oven. Pizza Pizza. :D
I deep fry my chicken wings in a dutch oven on top of my bayou burner. Best wings everf. Brine them 1st in a gallon or two of water, half cup of salt and half cup of sugar for half hour. Drain and rinse well before frying for 12 minutes at 375.

Here's the go to pan around our house. We use this pan almost every day for everything from pizza, fries, fajitas ....

51%2BI6eHYQDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

for frying the cast iron ovens arnt that great if you want to save the oil. only do that with enamel pots. but yes cast iron rocks. the more you use it the better it is

I probably use my 12in cast iron skillet more than any other piece of cookware I own - you can make anything in it!

Lodge makes a great product if you need a replacement.

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA

Lodge makes an acceptable product at best IMO. I much prefer antique cast iron, they tend to be machined inside, slightly lighter, the quality of the casting is higher, and the quality of the metals used tends to be better too. I <3 my Wagner #8.

Lodge makes an acceptable product at best IMO. I much prefer antique cast iron, they tend to be machined inside, slightly lighter, the quality of the casting is higher, and the quality of the metals used tends to be better too. I <3 my Wagner #8.

Agree, I have a few Wagner pieces, and they are much higher quality than the Lodge. They hold a season much better as well. I believe Wagner bought griswald some time back.

I have a lodge that has actually warped on the bottom.

I have 3 pieces of cast iron.
1. Cast iron frying pan from my 78 yr old friend/neighbor. Before he passed away, he made it very clear to his son that I was to get the frying pan. They had a family dispute, and the son didn't surface until he was dying. I got the pan. It had been in his family for over 50 yrs.

2. My uncle bought a house in NC, an estate sale. The family literally left everything, including food in the fridge. They were from another state. I got that cast iron pan, while we were cleaning out the house. It's about 10 inches around, 4 inches deep, and HEAVY.

3. Mom bought me a sandwich warmer for my woodburning stove. Made by Lodge. Neat gift.

I would rather cook on cast iron than anything else, if the pans are properly seasoned, you really don't need anything else..

Thanks for this idea! I have a quarry-tile "stone" but it takes forever to heat up properly.

Used the cast iron tonight:

DSC01581.JPG

DSC01582.JPG

Finally got that bottom crispy.

+1 for cast iron. I love the set we got for the wedding. The only pans in the house that can go from stove to oven to campfire!

Thanks for the tip - made four great pizzas tonight - spinach, garlic & oil; sausage and mushroom; sausage & spinach, and my favorite - a combo of all of the above

the only time i don't use the cast iron is for fried eggs and that gets a small non-stick(god what a lie that is). i do have a SS sandwich set for the wife since she doesn't like cooking on the iron.

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back