Triple tap kegerator under cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facesnorth

Reaction score
I am looking to install a kegerator under my kitchen counter.

I intend to stick the kegerator at the end of a corner run of countertop which juts out into a small peninsula. This will essentially become my bar area which seperates the kitchen from the living room (see diagram below).

[OPEN TO LIVING ROOM]
| cabinets

[KITCHEN]

I have a few inches of clearance between the dishwasher and kegerator but not much between the kegerator and the wall, nor between the kegerator and the adjacent cabinet, so I am concerned about overheating. I could stick a small fan back there somehwhere, but it's all closed off with the cabinet material, so not sure where the hot air would go. Also wondering if the dishwasher will create even more heat, and/or if the kegerator's heat will likewise harm the dishwasher.

I'm looking for fridge suggestions or ready-made units that will get me where I want to be as inexpensively as possible, taking into account my requirements for the unit to be under my kitchen counter, as well as the styles of beverages I am looking to serve.

I intend to use 3 corny kegs. I want to be able to serve in addition to stouts (my favorite beer) and IPA's, fermented coconut kefir (non-alcoholic), homemade ginger beer, and homemade ciders..

The above necessitates of course exposure only to stainless steel and food grade plastics, no chrome/nickel.

So taking all this into account I am trying to determine what would be the most inexpensive and effective way to accomplish these goals. Whether it's finding a fridge that fits under the cabinets in a 24" cabinet space, and converting it with after market parts. Or finding a ready made unit and adapting it to my needs. Or perhaps finding a turn-key solution.

Thanks!

Depends on budget...anything can accomplished if you throw enough money at it.:D

Well sure, that is clear. But the goal of trying to accomplish this as inexpensively as possible is the crux of my request. I want to spend as little as possible without sacrificing any of the design requirements. So while my budget is limited, for this exercise we can say that it's not fixed as I don't want to kick myself later because either my fridge or dishwasher died from overheating, or my beverages are not tasty because of contacting wrong materials or not receiving the right temperature, etc.

I see this Summit one: SBC490BI7BFTWIN which would even give me the bonus of adding a panel to match my cabinetry. But A) it's discontinued, B) for some reason they don't sell this custom panel version in a triple tap, C) I highly doubt it's the least expensive way to do this, D) I've read from some people that it doesn't vent much better than a regular rear compressor unit, E) I still may need to replace some parts to get the right materials for my beverage requirements (stouts, as well as coconut kefir, homemade ginger and root beers, and ciders.

Thanks.

All joking aside an end like that is a heat trap which is a compressor killer. 1st you would need to open up the toe kick and add a fan run off a temperature switch. 2nd by running ciders/wine/kefir, etc. requires stainless, plus all lines should be dedicated to each, will you want beergas and a stout tap. 3rd You can always mount the cabinet door to the outside of fridge door to keep it visually pleasing. 4th CO2 takes up space, to run 3 kegs you may need to install it in the cabinet and run a line to fridge.

Do you think it's realistically possible to do what I want with my setup?

Any suggestions on a fridge to accomplish the trick?

The fan should go under the fridge? (open up toekick)
Mount it towards the back or the front? Aim it forwards or backwards?

I agree I will need all stainless. Wouldn't I have a line dedicated to each keg anyway? Was also thinking I'd need a stout tap and nitro set up (is that what you mean by beergas? the 25/75 nitro/CO2 ratio?).

I was also thinking I could figure out a way to mount a wood panel on any fridge I got.

Thanks. Can you link to any specific parts or materials that you can suggest?

Fan will need to blow out into the kitchen to keep the heat from building up. To pick a fridge you will need height x width x depth of the opening that will determine how many kegs you can have.

Essentially I have a 24" wide space to slide the fridge into. Height will be under counter height which is max around 34" including any casters, etc. Depth-wise I have slightly more play. I'd say 26" from the face of the fridge door back to the dishwasher. However, if absolutely necessary I could pull it out even a little further (2-3"). Ideally I will be storing the gas canisters inside the fridge also. But if absolutely necessary I'd be able to pull the fridge out a bit like I said and stick them back there as well (although with the heat build up I'd prefer not to, not to mention access.)

Thanks for the input. I had seen those Summit's. Actually I mentioned here. But I mentioned 5 concerns about using one of their units. And for the high cost, I would want it to be near perfect. I was actually set on the idea, but my research led me to the conclusion that you can build something of similar or better quality for half the cost. Good to hear that it does vent under the front, at least would save me from having to route a fan somewhere. I suspect though that all the components my beverages will pass through are not 100% stainless steel and I would need to replace some things. Again it would be an easier pill to swallow if it came 100% with everything I needed without having to buy new stuff to modify it. But if possible, I am seeking ways to do this for about half the cost of this unit (or as inexpensive as possible), without making any sacrafices. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on parts? What fridge nowadays is a good buy for an undercounter triple tap? And what are some good stainless steel parts?

Do you have a basement? You could put the fridge/freezer down there and run cooled insulated lines up to the kitchen from right underneath it.

I have a crawlspace. Would be nice but I think it gets too cold down there in the dead of winter. Still open for ideas from anyone. Any fridges or parts suggested?

Back