Plumb Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
I have done some research about using plums but had a question that I was curious to get your thoughts. It seems like the go to grain when it comes to fruit beers is wheat. I was curious, has anyone ever done fruit beer using biscuit malt instead? I want to do a nice crisp pale summer ale with of course the fruit notes of the plums but with little bread, pie crust note to it. I am going to use some 20L caramel as well maybe a little 120L. I may throw in a couple lbs. of fresh apricot as well. Anyways, I want to bypass the wheat...

Sorry about the title...I meant Plum Ale not Plumb...stupid typing on phone...

I like the idea of moving away from wheat and leaning towards a MO or biscuit malt. I grew up in Louisiana and cobbler was a huge part of our lives. Sounds delicious. I might try something similar soon.

I like the idea of moving away from wheat and leaning towards a MO or biscuit malt. I grew up in Louisiana and cobbler was a huge part of our lives. Sounds delicious. I might try something similar soon.

Yea I think that's what I am going to do. I think I may use a combination of plums and apricots, maybe like 75/25. We'll see what happens. I am going to run with European Ale Yeast and most likely just use some aroma hops for slight bittering, probably challenger.

Just a thought here, maybe a touch of 5 Spice or cinnamon might set off the fruit. Also i think i'm going to do the same late addition aroma hop, i'm thinking Willamette. That's it you have me convinced :D its going on the short list. Peach cobbler ale!

Just a thought here, maybe a touch of 5 Spice or cinnamon might set off the fruit. Also i think i'm going to do the same late addition aroma hop, i'm thinking Willamette. That's it you have me convinced :D its going on the short list. Peach cobbler ale!

You probably already know this but, be careful with the spice...it's way too wasy to overdue it with spices.

Latest posts

Back