Temp concerns AFTER primary fermentation is finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
So I know its bad to ferment at temps above 70F for most brews, but my question is what happens when active fermentation is essentially finished and we are just aging the beer in primary/secondary containers. I know the yeast is still somewhat active cleaning up the beer, so will the warmer temps at this later stage cause issues?

We are currently in a heat wave in PA and today is the 4th >95F day. With the humidity the heat index for the past couple days has been well over 100. My basement (where all the brewing happens) normally stays a nice 60-70F even in the summer), but I can tell its been creeping up lately (don't actually have a thermometer down there). Is there reason to be concerned, or is it really only during active fermentation while the gravity is falling?

While prolonged storage at higher temps can cause a rapid breakdown of the beer, I wouldn't worry about a few weeks above 70. You are right when you say that the most important time is during fermentation - to be specific, towards the beginning of fermentation - and so you're right not to worry about ester production after your beer is finished fermenting. But like I said, and as with wine, prolonged warm storage can really speed up the aging process and it can pass its maturity period very quickly.

Well I was shocked when I finally brought a thermometer downstairs to check the temp. It was 76F!!! With our recent heavy rains, and then 5 day heatwave we are currently in I've been running the dehumidifier almost constantly to get the moisture out of the basement (had some water spots seeping through the concrete walls). I'm guessing the combination of the very hot weather, but more importantly the heat production from the dehumidifier (after all they're basically an air conditioner without the cooling effect of venting the heat outside) has taken my normally 60F basement well above comfortable. To top it off the damn humidity is still >70%!!!

I've turned off the dehumidifier and fan down there to keep the temps down and will be using it only for 3 hours or so a day to get the levels below 85%.

Not cool....

Hey 7Enigma, I'm in Warminster, Bucks County, and it's the same thing. I had my beer in my downstairs family room (not a basement, but it's sunken about two feet into the ground) and a few weeks ago when I started brewing it was actually too cold! Now I had to move it into our shop that has a concrete floor to keep it cool enough, and it's still about 75 in there when it's normally 68ish. It's in bottles now, I hope I didn't over-prime, because 75 is a bit warm for carbonation...bottle bombs!

Back