Brand new Sierra Nevada Flipside red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I just picked up a sixer of the new Sierra Nevada Flipside red IPA and I have to tell you guys that it is the best beer I've tried in recent months. If Flipside is a replacement for SN's Tumbler autumn beer I am happy cuz it's a lot better than their Tumbler ale aand better than Torpedo or Celebration IMO. Here's a pic for ya

I'll definitely have to grab some. I see on the website they say they used Magnum, Citra, Simcoe, and Centennial. That's an excellent selection!

Better than Torpedo and Celebration? That's a bold statement. I haven't seen this yet, but it sounds good. I'll keep a look out.

It's def not a replacement for Tumbler. I've seen plenty of Tumbler around in stores lately (stock is increasing every day). My understanding is that this is 8-8.5% ABV (at least from what I saw on BeerAdvocate).

OP, what's your location? Something tells me west coast.

It's def not a replacement for Tumbler. I've seen plenty of Tumbler around in stores lately (stock is increasing every day). My understanding is that this is 8-8.5% ABV (at least from what I saw on BeerAdvocate).

OP, what's your location? Something tells me west coast.

6.2% per the SN website. Standard IPA level.

6.2% per the SN website. Standard IPA level.

Yeah, I had to go do some digging. They released Flipside last year as a 1-off IIPA @ 8.4%, from BeerAdvocate searches. Regardless, it's not replacing Tumbler, that's for sure, unless they're phasing it out with a transition simultaneous release.

Bought this while on vacation in FL - went to grocery store one day around 8/23, no flipside, went back the next day - Flipside cases everywhere in said store. Case date was marked 8/14/13 - awesome bitter dry beer with a seemingly huge(er) SN house bready character than I usually pick up from SN.

Bought this while on vacation in FL - went to grocery store one day around 8/23, no flipside, went back the next day - Flipside cases everywhere in said store. Case date was marked 8/14/13 - awesome bitter dry beer with a seemingly huge(er) SN house bready character than I usually pick up from SN.

I'd give it pretty much the same review.

Much drier than Celebration, and I definitely pick up the Citra and Centennial. Not so much on the Simcoe.

Good beer. I'll keep buying it on occasion.

I just picked up a six of this as well and have to agree it's one of the best I've had in a while, I'll have to wait till celebration comes out to do a side by side. I'm in CT and my local store had tons of this, as well as tumbler

I just drank the last bottle from my 6-pack a few minutes ago. Good stuff, but I'd expect no less from SN.

Sierra Nevada quickly becoming my favorite go to brewery. Torpedo IPA sets standard for IPA's imo. Need to locate this red IPA

Just for the people afraid tumbler is gone. I picked up a six pack of Tumber the other day. Still haven't seen the red IPA in jersey stores yet.

I just finished a sixer this week and I have to say I thought it was pretty tasty

Better than Celebration?!!
Read the thread this morning, then hit the two most solid grocery stores for beer on the way home looking for Flipside. A bit frustrating that the East Coast has been drinking it for weeks and I couldn't buy any. I hate being late to the party:(
Bought some SN Harvest to tide me over.

Better than Celebration?!!
Read the thread this morning, then hit the two most solid grocery stores for beer on the way home looking for Flipside. A bit frustrating that the East Coast has been drinking it for weeks and I couldn't buy any. I hate being late to the party:(
Bought some SN Harvest to tide me over.

SN's probably ramping up their East Coast distribution to build demand for the new SC facility.

There was a time not long ago when I wondered if SN was becoming the boring mega-craft brewery - predictable and too comfortable with itself. Then I went to the brewpub for the first time in a few years, checked out some Beer Camp and barrel aged options, and went on the brewery tour. If you don't respect the hell out of Sierra Nevada, you're either unaware of what they're up to these days or you're a prohibitionist.

I am a huge fan of Sierra Nevada but I personally was not a fan of Flipside. I'll buy it again and see if my opinion changes but Celebration and Torpedo are much better IMO.

If you mix Sierra Nevada Flipside 50/50 with Sierra Nevada Narwhal, you get one heck of an amazing black IPA :fyi:

Wow drinking this now on tap at The Local in Coral Gables. First impression was the aroma. VERY resiny. Really like this beer, not overly bitter but good flavor and aroma, crisp and balanced. Def one of the better Sierra Nevadas I've had.

Also this was on tap, I've found especially with IPAs they are so much more aromatic on tap.

Very good beer. I had it on tap last week and really enjoyed it. I would say it is better then torpedo, but I have always gone for several other ipa's before that one. Still love a good Celebration. Haven't noticed any yet though.
Anybody else think Torpedo is kind of one dimensional?

I really liked this beer I find myself getting bored of "regular" IPA's although my palate demands the bitterness. Definitely a great choice in the fall. Anyone have an idea of how to clone this one I would love to give it a shot?

I wonder if it is similar to Epic's Imperial Red? I am guessing that Epics is about 60 IBU. I have a Red IPA fermenting right now, wish I would have been able to try SN before brewing.

Gonna toss back the last of a sixer I bought recently. Very good! Maybe I'm crazy but it kind of reminds me of the Ruthless Rye except without the rye :p

I bought a sixer last week. It was a very good beer, but it made be long for a Celebration. When is that going to hit the shelves?

Celebration should be out any time now.

I picked up a 12er of this the other day and SWMBO and I both liked it, although I don't think it's as good as Torpedo.

Latest posts

Back