Old Rhubarb recepie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlmac777

Reaction score
My Great Grandfather used to make Rhubarb wine without any yeast or additives of any kind...just Rhubarb, water and sugar. My grandfather that had the recipie has also since died and the times and recepie has died with him. :( Any insight as to what to do?

I love rhubarb wine. I do, however, use wine yeast. It's way more predictable that way. Some wild yeasts make fine wine, some make awful wine. I like to use campden tablets to kill the wild yeasts and bacteria before I make my wine.

The recipe I've posted before is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29310

You could definitely leave out the additions- the raisins add body, the pectic enzyme aids in clearing, the campden kills wild yeast and protects the wine from oxidation, the tannin adds a "bite" to it. I like it with the additions but you could leave them out.

Back