Spent Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
What does everyone do with their spent grain? I live in an apartment and don't have a lot of options. 1) throw them over the balcony and let the wildlife eat them. However I'm not sure how other people would like this 2)Throw them in a trash bag and throw them out. 3) Make a bird feeder 4) ???

Any other ideas?

I am sure you have some fat girls in your complex, just feed it to the cows!

No seriously, I am sure you could either dig a hole and bury it, just throw it away or mill it down to flour and make bread and such.

I have a friend who has horses and thought they might enoy it, or maybe she could use it as a suppliment. But since all the goodness has been washed away they are just not interested.
So in the compost bin it goes...

Beleive it or not most of the time I put it down the toilet, so far no problems .
I also found a friend who has a couple of goats and they love it ........
and you are right it stinks like hell in the garden + my dogs like to roll in it . dam what a mess..

Yooper Chick said:
I either compost them, or since it's bow season, I put it out for the deer.

Ooooh, that's illegal in most states

not in michigan if it's less than five gallons dry
but it' not quite bow season yet yooper(10 days)

thwack

Spent Grain - Get your bow out.

[YOUTUBE]5lnWsrUqgV8[/YOUTUBE]

It's gone in less than 24 hours, but lately it lasts about 6 hours.

eriktlupus said:
Ooooh, that's illegal in most states

not in michigan if it's less than five gallons dry
but it' not quite bow season yet yooper(10 days)

thwack

Actually, our 80 acres is in Wisconsin, and it IS bow season there! I'm not hunting this year, since my son is hunting at our cottage and our property and so is my husband. My son is bow hunting and rifle hunting this year for the first time. (He got a deer with a rifle last year). Hopefully, we'll have enough venison without me shooting this year.

And we can put out 2 gallons per 40 acres, but we don't put out that much.

snaproll said:
Beleive it or not most of the time I put it down the toilet, so far no problems .
I also found a friend who has a couple of goats and they love it ........
and you are right it stinks like hell in the garden + my dogs like to roll in it . dam what a mess..
But, How do the goats get it out of the toilet?

Back