New self-contained small-batch rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmlangon

Reaction score
I'm excited to give this setup a try! I've been brewing for years but never had a setup that actually looked half-decent (or didn't look like it might've contained toxic waste at one point). It's made from reclaimed wood and is designed to be super-portable - and if I happen to leave it hanging around my apartment, hey, it's art. :confused: What do you guys think?

1.jpg

3.jpg

Cooler than hell, but not sure about the clear bottles? I'd go with the Cobalt Blue ones, just to shade the beer from sunlight.

I'm with Psych on this one, is this just for storing stuff? And whats the meshed part on the left for?
Give us more details!

It looks like the poster has taken "small batch quite seriously." I see two fermenters--I assume a primary and secondary. The place on the left is where he keeps hose for his auto-siphon or to serve as a blowoff tube (with the cork). It also has his brew log (I assume). I also see the thermometer and hydrometer. I assume the two small bottles are for yeast or priming sugar. It looks quite nice and it would be quite the conversation starter on the coffee table or a shelf.

Yeah and the conversation would go "Hey, what's that for exactly?" ;)

A fancy Meth-maker? I guess that would be one who bathes and has all his teeth. AKA, a beginner.

Haha thanks for the feedback on my meth maker, guys. Made this while in the midst of watching Breaking Bad, so that might just explain it. :D It's definitely on the small side, designed to test 1 gallon batches, 2 at a time (single serving anyone?). 1 gallon in the primary, and 1 in the secondary or conditioning in those bottles, each of which is 1L. It's more of a display piece than anything, because my all-grain setup sure as hell isn't going to win any awards for beauty, and I'm tired of staring at plastic fermentors and behemoth carboys. The bit on the left is just storage, with a perforated bottom to let things dry. In a former iteration I'd envisioned it holding a hot plate to really compartmentalize the whole process, but that just seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

I guess it would be hard to explain to the insurance company, "Well, the fire was started by the hotplate on my mini-brewery."

Thanks Garrett! It's been interesting to experiment with the layout/organization, since brewing tidbits seem to just float randomly around the house without some kind of permanent spot to store them. I'll try and switch over to cobalt blue for the 1L bottles to help mitigate light poisoning (thanks Gear101). Not quite sure how to deal with the leftmost part (currently just storage for blowoff tube and extra stoppers). What's the smallest mash tun ever made? :)

Back