Spiced Mead Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
So I've been doing Mead for about 2 years now and have made 28 gallons of this wonderful beverage, but i am yet to make a couple types. The type i want to know about is the Hippocras, or Spiced Pyment.
So here is my tenative idea

2lbs Honey
1 can Welches concentrate (red or white?)
2 whole cloves
2tbs ground ginger or candied ginger root
(What else?)

Lalvin ec-1118
or Premier Cuvee

Im looking for alot of input.

This batch will probably be 3 others of the following, Wintergreen mead, Bochet, Braggot Bochet, Blueberry Mead, or Habanero Mead.

Thanks, Keep Brewing!

Personally I think lemon and ginger go great together. I will be starting a lemon ginger mead soon. (but very strong on the ginger) Peach is also know to go with ginger.

As for the grape juice consentrate, I would stick to white for ginger. I just can't see red matching with ginger. (purely a personal opinion)

Good luck!

Have you done an elderberry mead yet? Pretty good stuff. Ginger mead is also on our list, we make a very strong ginger wine for cooking, a bit of a wakerupper sipped, but toned down to like 4 ounces gallon of fresh ginger should be a great mead. You also should be asking which kind of honey would go with each? A light honey for the peach, a stronger honey for the ginger? WVMJ

Look up desserts that use Ginger and you will find a lot of mixtures. To use :)

I Have done an Elderberry Mead, Its about 5 months old right now, i havent opened it and its actually an Elderberry Elderflower mead. the bit i tried right after bottling was amazing and it had an interesting spicyness to it.

I do plan on doing a Peach mead but i'll do it when peaches are in season, i was thinking peach vanilla ginger. My ginger mead right now is wonderful but still young

I will probably do the white grape juice, with the Ginger, maybe some lemon zest and cinnimon because the cinnimon is a tradition ingredient for a Pyment and i can see the ginger cinnimon and lemon going well together.

I also had an idea for a Strawberry, Green Basil, Lemon Mead. I once had at hard-rock a Basil Stawberry Lemonade and thought it was the weirdest but most amazing combination i had had in a drink in a while, so do you guys think that would work well together?

I always use Wildflower honey, but i have clover available if i need it but i prefer to stay away because the wildflower adds a better complexity in my opinion.

Thanks guys

Back