Just Getting Restarted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whale4

Reaction score
Hey now I have done maybe 20 batchs of beer and had good sucess but am finally sick and tired of washing bottles so Im making the switch to kegs, my question is, is do i do everything the same as bottling but dump the beer into the keg and close it up or are there more things that I need to know? thanks for the help

most do not prime with sugar...then you needn't worry about sediment being dispensed in the first few draws. you can if you want, but you don't really need to.
you can also dry hop (usually w/ whole hops in a bag) in the keg too...the IPA guys dig this.

most of us force carb for a week at 12psi once the keg has been chilled.
you would still let it age at room temp a little while, else you end up drinking green beer from the keg that is well carb'd.
you can also rapidly force carb at higher psi, when necessary. definitely chill before you force carb...cooler liquid absorbs CO2 more readily.

Back