2.5 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
So this is the new 2.5 gallon keg sold by homebrew.org. There was a thread on here about it, unlike the one sold by Williams Brewing, this one has the dip tube that goes all the way to the bottom, no extension needed. This is $79 for a limited time.

Definitely chinese made. Pressures up just fine, all the fittings work. Lid is a little odd...I did not check to see if it was interchangeable with other corny lids but at first glance I'm not sure it is. The other odd thing about it is the coating. It has some kind of shiny plating sprayed on it. I can tell because it kind of thins out near the posts. Inside, it is definitely stainless steel, more of a brushed or matte finish.

Anyway, it is thirty bucks or more savings over the 2.5 gallon kegs with the plastic bottom. We'll see how it works. And regardless of the quality of this thing, just a plug for homebrewing.org. I've ordered all kinds of stuff from them, great shop.

2.5G-keg1_scaled.jpg

Looks good. Keep us posted if you have any issues. I may grab 1 or 2 from a local shop selling them (cornykeg.com).

If it really is stainless steel it would not need a sprayed-on coating. Makes me wonder what the keg is made of.

Cadmium. It's just a giant battery shell..

J/K - let us know how it works out. In the market for a second keg for a portable kegerator project.

I have one too, the underside of the lid is what looks weird to me (as in looks like its has a coating). So far its awesome though.

I have one of these and so far so good, pretty tough feeling for all the "it's a cheap chinese knockoff" talk I've heard. I have swapped lids on it with another one no issue, it has a good amount of clearance for the lever and the opening is the same size. Holds pressure nice!

Yeah, it is working out so far, right now I am serving up some of edworts apfelvein in it (sp?). Just that spray coating was weird, that's the reason i made the post in the first place. Seems to be ok though.

funny you mention that about china, the companies I have worked for have ALL had the toughest time getting parts to fit from over there. Sure 1 part will get here ok, but if you need 2 parts to mesh up in any way, they screw it up. It is as if they have a fake factory you visit, then out source the lid to some other place, and the pot they make themselves..........just thought it was funny you saying that...

How tall is the keg with the ball lock fittings attached? I'm hoping it will fit in my fridge. Any update after using it a while?

I have 2 different kinds but both are good quality though one is better than the other. I mostly use these for 2.5 gallon test beers and occasionally split a 5 gallon batch into 2. They fit in my fridge and if I don't want them in the kegerator, I just use one of the little C02 portable and take these to parties or picnics. Fit ok in most ice chests.

How tall is the keg with the ball lock fittings attached? I'm hoping it will fit in my fridge. Any update after using it a while?

I will have to measure it. It fits on the hump in my freezer quite well. I also have put it into the fridge, but I had to take out the top shelf for it to fit. I'll check back after I measure it.

How are you liking this keg? Any updates? I'm thinking about buying one and I haven't been able to find any reviews on it.

I have been looking for smaller kegging options due to space. My wife has given consent for a smaller kegerator that can sit on a small table (i will be sharing an area with the dog). I have to keep the fridge small and the total weight light enough. With this said it looks like 2.5 gallon kegs win. They are so expensive, I am able to get a pair wholesale, but did see those, and was going to order a couple as back ups. I was worried at that price about quality, they are cheaper than the pair I am getting at wholesale.

SWMBO recently got me one from CornyKeg.com and don't seen any quality issues. The stainless is thin but it is strong and doesn't flex at all. Maybe could dent if you bumped it into something with enough force (not sure how much) but no dents with standard use so far. It is a bit wider than standard 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs, in fact it is wider than 5 gallon cornys but it is also a little shorter than a standard 2.5 gallon keg. Weather or not this is an issue depends on your application.

I was interested in using in a portable Ice Cube kegerator as in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/portable-igloo-cooler-kegerator-172047/ , unfortunately you won't be able to fit 2 kegs in an Ice Cube if using one of these (one fits no problemo). Since they are so short I am curious if two would fit in a standard roller cooler which has the width to accommodate but I am not sure if the depth would allow clearance for the lid to close.

QsnotPs said:
funny you mention that about china, the companies I have worked for have ALL had the toughest time getting parts to fit from over there. Sure 1 part will get here ok, but if you need 2 parts to mesh up in any way, they screw it up. It is as if they have a fake factory you visit, then out source the lid to some other place, and the pot they make themselves..........just thought it was funny you saying that...

I have worked with Chinese sourcing parts. My experience is that they take longer to get it right, sometimes much longer. But, if you are patient, they will eventually. The coating on the keg concerns me. Some suppliers have poor history with food grade materials, as in heavy metal contamination like arsenic. Just ask McDonalds. I wonder if a welding shop could tell what the coating is?

Please keep us posted. Small batch brewing seems more attractive to me for beer variety and those 2.5's seem like they are too good to be true.

The coating just seems to be on the lid, which doesn't have contact with beer so not worried personally. I am no expert but imagine I am exposed to much worse on a daily basis. Just opinion here :D

It's only 2 1/2 gallons, how long will the beer actually be in there? Just keep your fingers crossed and your life insurance premiums up to date.

billf2112 said:
I have been looking for smaller kegging options due to space. My wife has given consent for a smaller kegerator that can sit on a small table (i will be sharing an area with the dog)

Ladies and gentlemen , boys and girls; I submit we are witnessing the birth of Doghouse Brewing, inc. . :)

dbrewski said:
I will have to measure it. It fits on the hump in my freezer quite well. I also have put it into the fridge, but I had to take out the top shelf for it to fit. I'll check back after I measure it.

We're you able to get a measurement on this?

jrb03 said:
We're you able to get a measurement on this?

13.25" to the top of the handle, 13.5" including the in/out posts. Add a half inch clearance for the tubing, I think you'd need 14" to comfortably fit it. They are now saying that the latest versions allow stacking even with posts on, so the handles on those must be taller.

The handles are 1" longer on V2 to allow the bottom keg to dispense while stacked. Everybody wins with more choices on the market. New AEB kegs have dropped around 20% in the last year due the new competition models. The future may hold a 23L model keg as well.

The handles are 1" longer on V2 to allow the bottom keg to dispense while stacked. Everybody wins with more choices on the market. New AEB kegs have dropped around 20% in the last year due the new competition models. The future may hold a 23L model keg as well.

Okay with that info, it sounds like these kegs are 14.5" high overall including the new higher handles. I don't have one to measure yet, that's just inferring from the above.

so is that really the website? When I type in homebrew.org, I get the American Homebrewers Assoc.

Thanks for the site clarification. I've been using 12 Tap A Draft bottles for a couple of years now. I like to brew 3-gal batches and 2.5 gal stainless is another good alternative for me.

I just recieved Williams Brewing catalog, and they have a 1.75gal version of the Chinese keg for around $85.
I brew 3gal batches, and the smaller one might be nice.

I'm going to order two of these. As I said in my earlier post, I have 12 TAD bottles and I like them just fine. They've been easy to work with and have stored well. This will give me a new option. I'm also about to remodel my basement and I may add a small bar. I've never wanted a bar in the basement and when the basement was being finished the first time, I specifically said no bar, but maybe a small walk-up bar with two little mini fridges housing two of these would be nice.

Are these Chinese units NSF-51 certified (tested food grade)

These kegs are constructed of food grade materials. Just like your tupperware, march or chugger pumps and dishes. Just like all the Chinese kegs AB uses. Just like my Black and Decker Coffee Maker.

In spite of some initial reservations, I've had no issues with this keg and I'm going to order another one here soon. If you are looking for a smaller keg size this is about the most cost effective one around. Thumbs up for homebrewing.org.

Hey Guys, I have a question:
From reading a description of the these (on the Williams site, I think), it sounds like it is for natural carbonation. Do any of you filter and then force carb in these? Clogged plumbing always makes me nervous when naturally carbonating in a keg.

Cut off your dip tube an inch or so and add a dip tube filter & you should avoid clogs.
Also, the 3 gal. kegs from Beverage Elements are Italian made and the best for the money that I've found. I have 6 & no issues.

Hey Guys, I have a question:
From reading a description of the these (on the Williams site, I think), it sounds like it is for natural carbonation. Do any of you filter and then force carb in these? Clogged plumbing always makes me nervous when naturally carbonating in a keg.

My plan was to force carb in a 5 gallon keg and then transfer via a jumper to the 2.5 gallon keg when I want to take my beer outside my home.

You could force carb in this keg if you do small batches (or bottle half of a 5 gallon batch). No reason to filter before force carbing, only the first few pours will murky. There is no reason to worry about clogged plumbing unless you dry hop in the keg with whole leaf hops.

You could naturally carb but I have never done that. Maybe if I didn't have CO2 tank I would do it. Cutting the dip tube is non-reversible and you may want the full length another time.

Is anyone using the new ones with the big handles in their rolling igloo cube Kegerators? I want to build one over the winter for vintage base ball and have been eyeing these kegs at adventures in homebrewing.

No but I have two in a rubbermade 60 qt from Home Depot. It's cheaper and still has wheels and a telescoping handle. I like the twin lid also, my PVC tower is on the left side so I still have access to the right.

Back