Brewing A Lager As An Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerB4Liquor

Reaction score
Hey there you beer brewing gurus,

I don't have enough refrigerator space to lager my beer, so does it hurt to brew a lager as an ale? What are the ramifications of doing this?

You'll end up with a different flavor profile. I believe lager yeasts when fermented warm can throw off a lot of off flavors just like fermenting an ale too warm. But California steam beer is using a lager yeast at ale temperatures so it can be drinkable.

There are a variety of yeast strains designed to deal with just your predicament. The Kolsch style of ale was developed to emulate the pilsner-type beers that were becoming popular in Germany at the time, while still using the (then-traditional) ale yeasts for fermentation. The 'California Common' style is fermented with a lager strain which has been selected to retain lager-like characteristics when fermented at higher temperatures. And Cream Ale is, much like Kolsch, an attempt to imitate popular lager characters while using the easier, cheaper ale fermentation methods.

White Labs has strains for all these styles: Kolsch, Cream Ale, and California Common.

I'd go with one of those.

I just ordered a Labatt's Blue clone. Is swamp cooling placing the fermentor in water and wrapping it with a towel that is also sitting in the water?

Right... you don't necessarily have to have the towel. Get a tub of some sort that is big enough to hold the fermenter and water. Put cold water in it, float some frozen plastic bottles of water in it. Change them out a couple times a day. You can pretty much get the temp where you want it by varying the amount of frozen stuff floating in it. Putting some bleach in the water is also a good idea, keeps it from growing anything unpleasant.

Saflager S23 is a good yeast choice if you don't have a proper temp controlled chamber. It does well up around 60F which is pretty easy to maintain.

There are a variety of yeast strains designed to deal with just your predicament. The Kolsch style of ale was developed to emulate the pilsner-type beers that were becoming popular in Germany at the time, while still using the (then-traditional) ale yeasts for fermentation. The 'California Common' style is fermented with a lager strain which has been selected to retain lager-like characteristics when fermented at higher temperatures. And Cream Ale is, much like Kolsch, an attempt to imitate popular lager characters while using the easier, cheaper ale fermentation methods.

White Labs has strains for all these styles: Kolsch, Cream Ale, and California Common.

I'd go with one of those.

Right... you don't necessarily have to have the towel. Get a tub of some sort that is big enough to hold the fermenter and water. Put cold water in it, float some frozen plastic bottles of water in it. Change them out a couple times a day. You can pretty much get the temp where you want it by varying the amount of frozen stuff floating in it. Putting some bleach in the water is also a good idea, keeps it from growing anything unpleasant.

Saflager S23 is a good yeast choice if you don't have a proper temp controlled chamber. It does well up around 60F which is pretty easy to maintain.

Thanks guys. Some good info here and it's a good day because I learned something.

Back