Cleaning and Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedagem

Reaction score
I just read that you shouldn't clean carboys with soap because it can leave a residue that kills head retention. It's a little late for that. All my carboys have been cleaned with dish soap a number of times. I always rinse well with water and sanitize with star san too. What's the proper way to clean a carboy? The guy I brew with sometimes lets them soak in a solution of TSP bleach and water which he heard was good for cleaning bottles that may have mold growing in them from remaining unrinsed after use.

The reason I ask is that my last 2 batches grew mold and I don't know why. I usually keep everything extra clean, I obviously screwed something up these past two times. Is the carboy brush really the best tool for the job? If no soap, what do you use? How effective is the TSP and Bleach solution? I believe it's 1 table spoon of each per gallon of water.

I only use Sun oxygen cleaner (like oxyclean) with hot tap water (1 scoop /gal.), soak overnight, and then rinse with hot tap water. Rarely ever have to use a brush. Never had any troubles.

I used to use soap and hot water, never had a problem. Now I use PBW (available online or at most HBS). No scrubbing involved, just let it soak and rinse well. Then use the STARSAN. This is more important if using plastic better bottles, you don't want to use any abrasive brush or scrubber on those. I don't think using soap would cause you to grow mold on your last two batches.

Back