Is Extra Light Extract the most fermentable extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancness

Reaction score
As opposed to dark extract?

I would think so because it seems that extra light malt is not roasted as long or as hot, preventing the carmelization of the more fermentable sugars within the malt.

Am I correct? And is this the reason why people use extra light extract for making yeast starters?

I just used plain extra light because that was the DME I'd bought to use in my recipe. It might matter a lil,though.

I don't think it's the color that impacts fermentablilty, as much as what temps they mashed the grain at... I would suspect that the extracts from a single manufacturer would give pretty much the same results. If you changed only those in a recipe. So, if you brewed a batch using extra light DME, amber DME and dark DME, but everything else was the same, the OG and FG should be either the same, or damned close. If they were different, software would give them different potential values (which they don't have)...

Personally, I'm just using extract to make starters, so it really doesn't matter...

Yeah I understand the color of the extract is a function of the malting/roasting process and subsequent mashing process of the grains.

I'm just wondering why everyone uses extra light DME to make starters. Would dark DME be a good substitute for extra light in making starters? Why or why not?

As opposed to dark extract?

I would think so because it seems that extra light malt is not roasted as long or as hot, preventing the carmelization of the more fermentable sugars within the malt.

Am I correct? And is this the reason why people use extra light extract for making yeast starters?

If I'm making an extract recipe, I'll use extra light, then add my color by steeping specialty grain. That way, I get control over the actual color and malt profile, as I don't know what the extract-maker used in making a dark extract.

If I want to bump up the gravity of a botched batch of an all-grain, I'll throw in some extra light extract and not worry about it changing the color of, say, a pale ale.

If I make a yeast starter using extract (which I do) I'll use extra light extract as it is what I have on hand for 1 and 2 above...

And I'd agree with Golddiggie that fermentability is not going to be dependent on the color of the extract to a huge extent. I find that extracts in general tend to be mashed relatively high anyway, and are not super fermentable. I always switch a bit out for some sugar if I want to dry the beer out.

i think people use the lightest DME because it will have the mildest flavor and least impact on color if you are pitching the entire starter solution

briess lists the Pilsen 2L and Traditional Dark 30L DME as both 75% fermentabe

Yeah I understand the color of the extract is a function of the malting/roasting process and subsequent mashing process of the grains.

I'm just wondering why everyone uses extra light DME to make starters. Would dark DME be a good substitute for extra light in making starters? Why or why not?

So that it has less chance of impacting the actual brew... I use extra light DME so that IF I pour the entire thing in, there won't me any real impact to the brew. But, I'm trying to make my starters far enough ahead, so that I can decant most of the spent wort and use just enough to get the slurry out.

IF you're making a dark brew, then I don't see it mattering what DME you use, or how much of it you decant... If you're making anything that's not pitch black, then you're better off using a lighter colored DME for the starter.

Just my take on it...

It seems like most the time you see a "stuck fermenation thread" it has to do with using dark extract.

The temperature of the malt/roast is what dictates how much of the malt will ferment after the mash stage, it is not the mash stage that dictates that.

Back