my first couple attempts at cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboy020163

Reaction score
I dont know much about ciders but tried some magners in a little irish pub and fell in love with it . dont know were it ranks in the big world of ciders but i like it . my first attempt was fresh pressed cider ,brown sugar ,honey and white lab cider yeast. let if go to dryness and back sweetened with concentrate. I taste the brown sugar and seems to be more like a wine than a cider . so my second attempt was uv past. cider and wine yeast with no sugar and it is really week or watery tasting. now where to start

Good apples. The apples are the most important thing, and although you can have something acceptable with storebought juice, to have something really good, you need well-flavoured, fresh apples, in my opinion. Many of the modern eating varieties like fuji and gala can have very little flavour after fermentation, as they are bred for sweetness more than aroma and are frequently low in acid and tannin. They make a good mixing apple, though, to bump up the abv of a cider made out of more tart varieties. In my experience, the best easily available eating apple to make cider with is the braeburn, which has a good acid and sugar balance, as well as a very strong apple aroma.

my first batch was a tart cider non pasturized or preservatives kids wouldnt even drink the juice. but cant get any of that till next yr. the second batch was from a local mill but was sweeter and uv pasturized . is there anything you can add to what I can get to make a good cider

Back