A few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I finally got up and running on saturday, just a few questions, firstly regarding the amount of bubbles in the airlock, its been 2 days now and i have a bubble once every 5 seconds, is this to slow??

And secondly it hit me when i was making it just how much sugar goes into this stuff, so my question is, is homebrew more unhealthier than commerical lager?

Thanks all

Chris

that's pretty much the same thing I'm experiencing after brewing my first batch on Saturday too.

Except mine is much slower now, every 8 to 10 seconds.

Maybe that's normal. . .

chris_newton said:
And secondly it hit me when i was making it just how much sugar goes into this stuff, so my question is, is homebrew more unhealthier than commerical lager?

If anything the stuff you are making is better for you.

1) Unfiltered beer has yeast which provides vitamin b which you lose lots of when you drink.

2) You are not adding any preservatives (unless you count hops).

All beer is made with some kind of sugar. Yeast cells eat the sugar and produce alcohol + CO2 (and a few other things as well). As a rule the lower the final gravity (a measure of the remaining unfermentable sugar) the "lighter" it will be. Light beers are made with a very high percentage of fermentable sugar, low starting gravity, and low final gravity. The process you are going through is essentially the same as the one a commercial brewery would go through (save a few things relating to cost, clarity, and batch size).

Back