WLP001 is the worst smelling yeast yet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Got a SN celebration recipe fermenting away with WLP001 and the fermentation smell is absolutely horrible, worse than any liquid yeast I have used yet and anything from apfelwein I have made. Anyone else notice this yeast has a horrible stench to it?

001 is a beast. A clean sexy dominator. She's a beauty. You shouldn't have any funky smells comming from 001. Something is amiss here!

I know wlp001 will throw of some lager-like sulfur smells if you take it down into the upper 50s.

Yeah well here is the deal. I failed to read the pitching instructions and let the carboy cool until the wort was 66'F and then pitched a 1.35L starter that had been on a stirplate for 24 hours. I pitched at 12AM on a Sunday and the beer did not start to ferment until something early Monday Morning and by the time I had gotten home around 5 on Monday the beer had a 2" krausen on it. We'll see how it turns out, I don't see any evident infection so far.

Back