So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonna give this hop bursting thing a whirl and brew up some Evil Twin.

Recipe: Evil Twin

This beer ends up rich and malty, yet with a devilishly huge hop aroma and flavor. It is loosely based on AleSmith's delicious Evil Dead Red. Thanks to Peter Zien for his help with this recipe.

Ingredients for 6 U.S. gallons (23 liters)
Target Original Gravity: 1.066 (16.21 Plato)
Approximate Final Gravity: 1.016 (4.08 Plato)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
Anticipated SRM: 17
Anticipated IBU: 23.8
Anticipated ABV: 6.66%
Wort Boil Time: 90 minutes
12 lb (5.44 kg) British Pale Malt 3L
1 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal 40L
1 lb (0.45 kg) Munich Malt 8L
0.50 lb (0.22 kg) Victory Malt 25L
0.50 lb (0.22 kg) Crystal 120L
0.25 lb (0.11 kg) Pale Chocolate Malt 200L
0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (20 min.) (6.4 IBU)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (20 min.) (4.5 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (10 min.) (7.6 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (10 min.) (5.3 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (0 min.) (0 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (0 min.) (0 IBU)

Yeast: A clean neutral yeast that attenuates in the mid-seventy percent range is perfect. White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 American Ale are excellent choices. A good dry yeast option is Fermentis Safale US-56. Ferment at 68F (20 C).

Directions: Single infusion mash at 154F (68C) using a ratio of 1.3 quarts water to 1 pound of grain. While you could go with a shorter boil, the 90 minute boil enhances the blood-red color. It also adds a touch more melanoidin and caramel notes. Cool the wort quickly after the last hop addition to retain as much hop aroma as possible. Optionally, dry hop with more Centennial or Amarillo if you're a real hop monster. Carbonate to no more than 2 volumes and serve at 45 to 55 F (7.2 to 12.8 C).
:mug:

I have a 3 day weekend does that count? So yes I will be brewing Monday and brewing Denny's Rye IPA. I am so excited for this recipe.

I was going to brew a Pale Ale today. An all grain version of a partial mash that I am enjoying at the moment by the way.

I had a meet up with a craiglist seller at 11am and bought two very heavy duty SS ten gallon pots for $100! SCORE!!!

It has been blowing like stink all day here so I put off my brew day til my next day off on Tuesday,

some all grain pale ale with whatever hops i already opened up along with some base malt im going to toast giveing the biscuit effect.I love that bready stuff in pale/ipa's.

I'm hoping to, I got lazy on my cleaning, have some catching up to do and some cider to bottle.. But hopefully I'll get to brew my first partial mash, Northern Brewer Speckled Heifer.

Planned to start the 18 month process on a Flanders red this weekend but either FedEx dumped my package on the wrong doorstep or somebody walked off with 17lbs of grain and some Roselare. I'll probably still brew, just need to see what I can pull together with the grains on hand...

brewing Jamil's IPA recipe from BCS tomorrow. finally got my turkey fryer yesterday, so i'm excited to break that in. today we're kegging a CDA, bottling half a batch of superior strong ale (midwest kit) and putting the other half on half an oak spiral that's been soaking in Eagle Rare 10 yr bourbon. happy brewing!! :mug:

Snap! That bourbon sounds delicious. I'm working on a couple recipes of my own for wood aged beers. Never done one before, so this is pretty damn fun.

Had to brew something and wanted a new recipe but not enough time to search the forums for a pale ale before LHBS closed, so I made up something off the cuff:
8# 2 row, 1# Munich, 1# Vienna, .75# 60L.

Bitter with the small amounts of simcoe and chinook I have left over. Late additions and dry hop with cascade.

I might pull a gallon off and add some green tea in secondary to see how it might turn out in a larger batch.

Planning on Brewing an IPA tomorrow. Still have to go to LHBS to get my grains. Just pulled my "Black IPA" last night and kegged it. I would say it's more black then IPA but not like a stout so I don't know what to call it. Any suggestions?

Planning on Brewing an IPA tomorrow. Still have to go to LHBS to get my grains. Just pulled my "Black IPA" last night and kegged it. I would say it's more black then IPA but not like a stout so I don't know what to call it. Any suggestions?

Is it more roasty than hoppy? Maybe it just a hoppier robust porter? My suggestion is Black Hole Pale Ale.

Starting up a BB Brown Ale as soon as SWMBO and the 3 princesses do their mall thing. Right now am enjoying an 11 month old Dubbel and an Abbey Ale. PM's from Midwest and NB.:rockin: Peace, tranqulty and a Home Brew!

Brewing a Hazed and Infused clone and adding some of my own hop additions for sh*ts and giggles.

And it's also my first full boil.

Should be interesting.

image-689879423.jpg

Can you Brew It - Moose Drool clone today, a Munich helles, AND a maibock. Got to knock out those lagers while the temps are low! Yay for ghetto temp control.

I'm starting a bit of a CYBI kick, having knocked out the Dead Guy... and as soon as I can get some simcoe, Green Flash West Coast IPA! Damn trademarked, high in demand hops!

Going to try to turn my carboy around and get what is in it bottled and another batch in it tonight. Going to do a BIAB smash.

Back in the game after a bit of a layoff due to a move. 3 gallon partial mash, centennial IIPA.

A two heartedish with what i got.Im trying to pull off not having vienna malt with some caramunich/carahell and toasting some malt.I know it isnt the same but it should be interesting.The british yeast will give it a maltyness so im accounting for that also.

Made a Dunkelweizen that is bubbling away. This was my last partial mash.....all-grain from here on out.

I brewed an Anchor Steam clone last night, and only one mistake...forgot to put vodka in the air lock. No worries...filled later the next morning. LOL.

Rye Pale Ale on Sunday Northern brewer in the frist wort Mash for a change. 21 in the morning should be Fun.

Brewing 5gal of Green Flash IPA clone & 3gal Bavarian Hefe tomorrow, and also showing my buddy how to brew for the first time. He actually got so fired up by the home brew I gave him for Christmas that he bought himself a Coopers kit. His SWMBO isn't excited about him brewing in their house with a 2 year old, so I'm gonna let him brew over here if he really gets into it.

Since it'll probably rain monday looks like I'll be doing a RIS today. My last one was terrible. However I just got a brand new mash tun, all the ingredients (my lhbs had none of the specialty grains I wanted last time) and a full propane tank. I'm looking in good shape for atleast a decent product.

I am a noob here but I did my first 5 gal batch last night and it is bubbling away on the counter. I did a Octoberfest for my first batch.

Back