Square tub caps for brutus (steel or plastic)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizardofza

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I finished welding up my Brutus stand and I want to cap the top opening of the four legs. I found some square tubing caps online, plastic and metal.

Do I go with the plastic or metal ones? Does anyone know if their stand gets hot enough on the very top to the point where it would melt the plastic caps?

Well, the only caps I've found are here : click

I'm using 11 gauge 1-1/2" square tubing, and I'm not all that crazy about these caps being 3/16" in height. I'm thinking they may stick up too much compared to the rest of the rig. And my welding skills aren't all that great to fabricate ones that will look decent.

I'm all for using steel ones, but can't seem to find any but these.

I've seen some builds on here with the cap sticking above the surface of the frame and it didn't look bad.
Pat

wizardofza; that's a great tip posting the Sharpe Products Company, dang they have a vast supply of different items for a home brewers DIY projects. Thanks for posting. I have an intrest in the 1 1/2" stainless steel ball to use as a keg and corny cleaner. After it has had many smaller holes drilled into it it would make a great ball sprayer that could clean inside inverted kegs and corny's. I have from my friends big rig tank spray ball, it is too large at 3" to fit into a keg plus the holes are too big as it needs a 10 HP high volume pump to spray properly, way over the top for the average home brewer. This HP to get the high pressure spray for this commercially used ball.

On member lehr; about the caps, those caps sure look heavy duty and great vs some thin tin or plastic caps. If it were my stand I would tack weld a length of 1/8" rod as a handle to hold a piece of flat stock that just fits inside the square tube and weld it into the tubing. Grind off the rod holder then dress the weld flush to the square tube. This way the square tube will be flush with your brew stand cross bars. Just a suggestion that may help with your brew stand build. Go the extra mile for the great results for your labor.

Back