Electric Okie Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubchedford

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing up my electric build. Is there any other electric Okie brewers out there? I'm looking for some folks to share electric tips and tricks with.

I am! 30amp setup here in an E-HERMS with two pumps. I finished my build a year and half ago maybe? I did it all myself from the keg cuts to the control panel to putting in the new circuit. My setup is pretty close to theelectricbrewery.com one.

I went with fuses for my internals.
My solid state relay doesn't have the huge heatsink that they put on in the electric brewery (TEB), but I haven't had any issues with internal heat yet even with no air intake or exhaust.
I went with the standard 3 prong dryer plug and wire and 3 prong outlet for the element connection and haven't had any issues. This was much cheaper than the twist lock that a lot of people use. I haven't had any issues with the plug trying to come out either.
I didn't put a timer in mine like TEB. It is pretty much just the aubrin PID, a keyed power switch (with LED status light), a switch for each standard 15amp outlet for the pumps with LED light indicators, a three way switch for element control (HLT on/off/BK on) with LED indicator lights, an audible alarm, then an emergency shutoff mushroom button.
My temperature probe has a pass-through connector to get inside of the control panel which is super handy.

I got the LEDs, PID, SSR, and temp probe from Auberins.
All of the switches I got straight off the slow boat from China via eBay.
The control panel box is this from Amazonsupply.com: BUD Industries Series SNB Steel NEMA 4 Sheet Metal Box with Mounting Bracket, 11-51/64" Width x 15-3/4" Height x 7-55/64"
I got all of my wiring from Stayonline.com

I just recently switched over to two new all stainless heating elements from BrewHardware.com since there was some rust at the base of my old ones even though I dried the old ones quickly.

Things that made this easier? spend the money on the proper equipment to put your hold in the panel. I had harbor freight hole punches that were awful. I replaced those with a more reputable brand and it became MUCH easier.
Also, I found that using power distribution blocks made the wiring a lot cleaner.

Overall, I really enjoyed the processes of making this thing and learning a lot along the way. With a new daughter born a couple months after completing my electric brew setup, the 'set it and forget it' aspect was REALLY nice. I don't have to babysit the temperature on a brew day. I'm still learning the ins and outs and haven't had a lot of time to brew with it, but I have really enjoyed it so far.

I am! 30amp setup here in an E-HERMS with two pumps. I finished my build a year and half ago maybe? I did it all myself from the keg cuts to the control panel to putting in the new circuit. My setup is pretty close to theelectricbrewery.com one.

I went with fuses for my internals.
My solid state relay doesn't have the huge heatsink that they put on in the electric brewery (TEB), but I haven't had any issues with internal heat yet even with no air intake or exhaust.
I went with the standard 3 prong dryer plug and wire and 3 prong outlet for the element connection and haven't had any issues. This was much cheaper than the twist lock that a lot of people use. I haven't had any issues with the plug trying to come out either.
I didn't put a timer in mine like TEB. It is pretty much just the aubrin PID, a keyed power switch (with LED status light), a switch for each standard 15amp outlet for the pumps with LED light indicators, a three way switch for element control (HLT on/off/BK on) with LED indicator lights, an audible alarm, then an emergency shutoff mushroom button.
My temperature probe has a pass-through connector to get inside of the control panel which is super handy.

I got the LEDs, PID, SSR, and temp probe from Auberins.
All of the switches I got straight off the slow boat from China via eBay.
The control panel box is this from Amazonsupply.com: BUD Industries Series SNB Steel NEMA 4 Sheet Metal Box with Mounting Bracket, 11-51/64" Width x 15-3/4" Height x 7-55/64"
I got all of my wiring from Stayonline.com

I just recently switched over to two new all stainless heating elements from BrewHardware.com since there was some rust at the base of my old ones even though I dried the old ones quickly.

Things that made this easier? spend the money on the proper equipment to put your hold in the panel. I had harbor freight hole punches that were awful. I replaced those with a more reputable brand and it became MUCH easier.
Also, I found that using power distribution blocks made the wiring a lot cleaner.

Overall, I really enjoyed the processes of making this thing and learning a lot along the way. With a new daughter born a couple months after completing my electric brew setup, the 'set it and forget it' aspect was REALLY nice. I don't have to babysit the temperature on a brew day. I'm still learning the ins and outs and haven't had a lot of time to brew with it, but I have really enjoyed it so far.

Awesome! I'm finishing up my 3 element RIMS system. Just need to install the element in my HLT, and figure out a way to mount my RIMS tube. Then I should be ready for its maiden voyage.

I'm going to be. I just got an EBIAB system set up and just finding time to run a pilot batch on it. I have the grains milled and everything. Maybe this weekend I will have time.

Got in my first brew on the new system yesterday. Ran into a few issues but nothing major and beer should be the result so that's always good.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430135942.166582.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430135979.748896.jpg

The new system filled with water and ready to go

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430135995.788180.jpg

The start of my mash

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430136025.166590.jpg

Towards the end of my mash things started getting foamy

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430136063.280399.jpg

Starting the boil

I built an electric brewery just about a year ago, live just south of OKC in Bridgecreek, it's based on the Electric Brewery design with parts from electric brewery supply.

Back