Evidence (via studies) behind step mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who cares. Sarcasm and humor can go hand in hand.

Buy a sense of humor you uptight snobs.

Who cares. Sarcasm and humor can go hand in hand.

Buy a sense of humor you uptight snobs.

Well, for one, I consider snarky different from sarcastic. If you look up the definition of snarky it's "Critical; cutting; testy." But, regardless, if someone doesn't think you're joking then a sense of humor is irrelevant.

Okay... I believe its time to just lock this thread... I got exactly the information I asked for.

Hopefully I can keep the thread in my history though for reference. Otherwise I will just save references.

Nevermind, I bookmarked tbe links provided.

I am not going to apologize for other people getting offended.

Okay... I believe its time to just lock this thread... I got exactly the information I asked for.

Hopefully I can keep the thread in my history though for reference. Otherwise I will just save references.

Before you run off, you should know:

They are offended by your rude, disrespectful manner. Don't kid yourself that it's anything but that. Can you accept that as constructive criticism?

We don't just lock threads because some one has the information they wanted and moved on. The point of a community is that it's a give and take, and many people who learn things are people that almost never post.

We do tend to remove posts when they go too far off-topic (OT) so that could be happening soon since we are far off of the original topic.

And you certainly don't have to apologize for others getting offended. Being offensive (but not breaking forum rules) has no repercussions at all, except that people who "know" those who annoy them can put them on their ignore list, or simply not answer questions or post to their threads, leaving them without any good advice, er, opinions. If someone thinks someone else is a dick, it's no problem at all. If they didn't actually call anybody a name, or insult them, then it's fine. People think what they think.

It's all good.

Disproportionate response. Truly disproportionate response. It's what's bad about online communications. Picture yourselves talking this way face to face, and reign it in.

"The scientific method is: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of*hypotheses.

The chief characteristic which distinguishes the scientific method from other methods of acquiring knowledge is that scientists seek to let reality speak for itself, supporting a theory when a theory's predictions are confirmed and challenging a theory when its predictions prove*false.*"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

In this thread, I was not looking for an opinion initially.

I put a little happy face after the comment about that just so no one would get offended.

Yet, there was still a percentage who took offense.

I chalk that up as a tiny minority of hurt feelings as this has to be the highest traffic home brew website on the interwebs. All in all, the general population of visitors on this website doesn't really care about this thread.

I put a little happy face after the comment about that just so no one would get offended.

I chalk that up as a tiny minority of hurt feelings as this has to be the highest traffic home brew website on the interwebs. All in all, the general population of visitors on this website doesn't really care about this thread.

I wouldn't say anyone took offense (at least not at first). Take my first response for example. There are certain aspects of this hobby where most people talking about them are totally relying on opinion: secondaries, autolysis, glass v. plastic, etc. On those topics if you started a thread and said 'no opinions', I for one would actually agree with you. But on this topic, there's really no opinions involved. It's accepted science, science that transcends brewing. Enzymes are not unique to our hobby obviously. So when you state 'no opinions' on a topic like this one, its plainly obvious that you didn't do any reading before asking the question.

There's plenty of great brewin literature out there, some of which has been pointed out in this thread.

"The scientific method is: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of*hypotheses.

The chief characteristic which distinguishes the scientific method from other methods of acquiring knowledge is that scientists seek to let reality speak for itself, supporting a theory when a theory's predictions are confirmed and challenging a theory when its predictions prove*false.*"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

In this thread, I was not looking for an opinion initially.

You seem to consider anything other than posting a study to be the simple voicing of an opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Perhaps you mean you're not (or weren't) interested in anecdotal evidence of what a particular mash temperature does to a mash? Even if that were the case, you could have easily just ignored any posts you deemed to be the voicing of "opinion."

I'm not going to try and understand the direction this thread has taken. It has become so diluted with bickering that any factual points are nearly moot. Either discuss step mashing/mash temperatures or stop typing.

ryno1ryno, you are one more rude/argumentative/off topic comment away from a ban.

Latest posts

Back