Russian Imperial Stout - Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc8015

Reaction score
I am planning on making a Russian Imperial Stout to hand out for Christmas presents in December 2012. I've got an extract recipe that estimates OG at 1.092. I am planning on leaving the stout in the primary fermentation for 10-14 days before moving it to the secondary fermenter. At this point I will leave town for an extended business trip. Is 10-12 weeks too long to leave a beer like this in the secondary fermenter? The fermenter will be indoors at a temp of between 68-72. If need be I could put it out in the garage where it is a bit cooler but the temprature is less stable.

I am planning on leaving the stout in the primary fermentation for 10-14 days before moving it to the secondary fermenter. At this point I will leave town for an extended business trip. Is 10-12 weeks too long to leave a beer like this in the secondary fermenter? The fermenter will be indoors at a temp of between 68-72. If need be I could put it out in the garage where it is a bit cooler but the temprature is less stable.

You can also leave the beer on primary for extended period of time instead of moving it to a secondary, as heavily discussed in HBT.
I think that 68-72 is a little bit high....but its ok. The most important in your case is to keep fermenter (primary or secondary) in a clean environment and protected from direct sunlight.

So could I just leave the beer in the primary for a total of 12-14 weeks without any problems? I have heard that leaving beer on the yeast cake that long will give it off flavors.

So could I just leave the beer in the primary for a total of 12-14 weeks without any problems? I have heard that leaving beer on the yeast cake that long will give it off flavors.

If you look for keeping beer in primary for extended period of time in "search tool" of HBT, you will seen a long list of discussions made about this subject. Some examples:
www.homebrewtalk.com/.../leaving-primary-extended-periods-time-97161/
www.homebrewtalk.com/.../can-leaving-beer-primary-too-long-have-ill- affects-86608/
www.homebrewtalk.com/.../how-long-should-i-leave-beer-primary-fermenter -if-im-not-using-secondary-28929/

Very, very interesting discussions.
Have a nice brew!

I've got an extract recipe that estimates OG at 1.092. I am planning on leaving the stout in the primary fermentation for 10-14 days before moving it to the secondary fermenter.

If it were me I would just leave it in the primary while you're away. 1.092 is a big beer so it will benefit from sitting a while longer on the yeast. This will give the yeast plenty of time to ferment and clean up after themselves.

If it were me I would just leave it in the primary while you're away. 1.092 is a big beer so it will benefit from sitting a while longer on the yeast. This will give the yeast plenty of time to ferment and clean up after themselves.

Are there certain yeasts that do better than others when the beer stays in the primary for so long? I have only worked with dry yeast thus far but would not be opposed to using a liquid and making a starter.

Are there certain yeasts that do better than others when the beer stays in the primary for so long? I have only worked with dry yeast thus far but would not be opposed to using a liquid and making a starter.

Not really...all yeast display similar physiological behaviors on the final process of fermentation. In this sense, the brewer yeasts are able to withstand for long periods of time after fermentation without major problems.

I would disagree. Go for 2-3 weeks primary (4 if you're still in town). Then go as long as you want in secondary. Just make sure to keep the airlock from drying out.

I was over at a brew buddies 2 weeks ago. Tried his 1.102 RIS that we brewed last Feb. He had it in secondary for 250 days and it was ...AMAZING. Best damn beer I've ever tasted, and I'm not a big stout guy. Changed my perception about how long to age BIG beers in bulk in secondary.

I use yeast nutrient added for the first through third (sometimes longer) days of fermentation in my RIS. I think it helps with the higher OG brews.

I would disagree. Go for 2-3 weeks primary (4 if you're still in town). Then go as long as you want in secondary. Just make sure to keep the airlock from drying out.

I was over at a brew buddies 2 weeks ago. Tried his 1.102 RIS that we brewed last Feb. He had it in secondary for 250 days and it was ...AMAZING. Best damn beer I've ever tasted, and I'm not a big stout guy. Changed my perception about how long to age BIG beers in bulk in secondary.

+1

I think one of the biggest advantages of bulk aging vs. bottling conditioning is that you... CANT DRINK THE BEER! I always bottle my big beers after 5 or 6 week in the primary and set these lofty goals of bottling aging. Problem is all the beer is gone before my set date lol.

Agree with the long secondary. 2-3 wks primary then 1-6 months secondary with a beer that size.

Just finished up a RIS, here is my advice. First, 2 weeks MINIMUM in primary. That is alot of sugar to eat up, it needs time. Be prepared for some serious krausen, I lost 1/2 gallon during fermentation, use an overflow and check often. You must oxygenate the wort prior to pitching, are you set up to do that? Pitch a double strength yeast upfront or do a starter with a several day head start. You have to get your yeast population up or it might peter out and leave a high FG. Transfer to secondary 2 weeks+ and you can pretty much leave it in secondary indefinitely. I left mine 3 months. It is preferred that it be in an impervious container such as glass or PET.

If I go 10-14 days in primary then 10-12 weeks in secondary, will I need to pitch more yeast before bottling?

It's advisable to pitch fresh yeast for bottling big beers no matter how long you condition for.

Is it essential to do so, is another question.

It's advisable to pitch fresh yeast for bottling big beers no matter how long you condition for.

Is it essential to do so, is another question.

Forgive my ignorance here.

Could I just sprinkle a package of dry S-04 or US-05 into the carboy before siphoning into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar? Or should I rehydrate first?

You don't need a whole pack.

Ideally you want to use the same yeast strain you ferment with, or at least one less attenuative to stop the risk of bottle bombs.

I'd also rehydrate. Cool your priming sugar, add the yeast then siphont the beer onto that to make it mix properly.

Back