CPBF or straight from tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a question for tnLandSailor more than anything but maybe others would like to see the answer or chime in...

TN, you mentioned that you got rid of your CPBF and bottle straight from the tap now. I will be getting to this point soon as my first batch I will keg is now in primary. I was considering the CPBF but based on a thread a while back where you spoke of this, I decided to do some research first. Do you have any links or other insider info?

Cheers....

Neil

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
This is a question for tnLandSailor more than anything but maybe others would like to see the answer or chime in...

TN, you mentioned that you got rid of your CPBF and bottle straight from the tap now. I will be getting to this point soon as my first batch I will keg is now in primary. I was considering the CPBF but based on a thread a while back where you spoke of this, I decided to do some research first. Do you have any links or other insider info?

Cheers....

Neil

I would recommend bottling from the tap first because it won't cost you anything. Sample your bottles after a few weeks kept at room temp and in the refrigerator to judge your results.

Here is my procedure for bottling from the tap:

• Clean and sanitize bottles.
  • Remove gas line from keg and bleed off all but just a PSI or so.
  • Purge bottles well with CO2 (important).
  • Put the bottle under the spout and open the faucet all the way. The beer should come out at just a trickle. This will help to keep foaming down. It should take about 45 seconds to just over a minute to fill a 12 oz bottle. Adjust your pressure accordingly.
  • At the end of the fill, if there is very little foam, partially close the tap to create some so that a little foam spills out of the top of the bottle.
  • Cap quickly on the foam.
You can do this procedure with a picnic tap as well. If you want, you can add a fill tube to the faucet to fill from the bottom up which will further decrease foaming and help to avoid possible oxidation. I have a very good purging system so oxidation is not really an issue for me. I don't bother with the tube.

Nothing speaks like results, so you should try this method a few times and judge the results yourself. If you keep a "beer library" of several styles with records of when and how you bottled them, you can sample them at given intervals and get a good feel for how well the method works for you.

If later on you decide you want to try the CPBF, read this article on post fermented beer in contact with copper/brass:

http://www.stainlessone.com/DPS11020-8pgReprint.pdf

I still have an all stainless steel CPBF for sale if you are interested.....

Prosit!

Back