Banana Nut Coffee Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guigsy

Reaction score
Hola-

Big fan of the stout and coffee, specifically banana flavored coffee. Would this be any good? Oh and this is "sirsloop" recipe minus the espresso and the addition of banana flavored coffee.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottinghams

Ingredients:
7lbs Briesse DME
3/4lbs Roasted Barley
1oz Chinook
1tsp Irish Moss
1lbs Banana Nut Coffee (grinds) – added to the wort after the boil

I can't believe there is banana flavored coffee! Hopefully I can offer some advice; first of all I wouldn't use chinook in this recipe because chinook is a really strong flavored hop (one of my favorites) and it might overpower the subtle banana flavors or clash with them, I'd go with something cleaner. Secondly, I would add some crystal malt to give the beer some sweetness and depth, something like crystal 60L, maybe a little bit of munich for a malty background.
Other than that, the recipe looks good, sound really interesting.

how about going really experimental and fermenting with a hefe yeast at the warm side of the spectrum? i had a hefe whose ferment temperature got away from me and ended up tasting like a glass full of chaquitas. i don't know how the hefe yeast would do chewing through the roasty malt flavour sbut you can definitely get a strong banana flavour by doing this.

according to my Radical Brewing book, they recommend cold steeping the grounds for 24 hrs as the best method for using coffee in a beer. That being said, i jsut poured 24 cups of coffee in when i racked to the secondary.

Iordz said:
I can't believe there is banana flavored coffee! Hopefully I can offer some advice; first of all I wouldn't use chinook in this recipe because chinook is a really strong flavored hop (one of my favorites) and it might overpower the subtle banana flavors or clash with them, I'd go with something cleaner. Secondly, I would add some crystal malt to give the beer some sweetness and depth, something like crystal 60L, maybe a little bit of munich for a malty background.
Other than that, the recipe looks good, sound really interesting.

http://www.coffeebeaneryonline.com/Inventory/Navision/1034621

Back