Yeast Washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to my question but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

I see all this talk about reusing yeast, but also a lot of discussion regarding particular yeasts for specific beers. Unless I am brewing the same beer very frequently or maintain a pretty big library of different yeasts(and dedicated refrigerator for storage) I don't see it as a practical practice. Am I wrong?

If you don't plan on brewing with the same yeast in the near future, yeast washing might not appeal to you.

For some of us, we have "house yeasts" that we frequently use for a range of styles. Washing the yeast saves us money and also ensures healthy, thriving yeast for all our beers. There was a discussion on the BN not too long ago about 2nd generation yeast being healthier and providing a better flavor profile over the 1st gen. Over time, you might even develop a "house character" to your particular strain.

In general I like just a handful of styles - pale ales, IPAs, brown ales, stouts, porters - so what I did was look at a ton of recipes and see which yeast was used most frequently in those styles. What I found was that the majority of the pale ales and IPAs used Wyeast 1056 and the majority of stouts, porters and brown ales used 1028, so I was planning to wash those yeast strains to brew with multiple times. And don't forget that you can use the washed yeast up to a year later, so if you don't brew very often with the same yeast, don't you think you might within a year?

Now that doesn't mean I won't use another yeast, but I think I can get by with those 2 strains in most of my beers. Maybe that doesn't apply to your tastes.

Latest posts

Back