Octoberfest FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
Bottled my octoberfest tonight. 7 days primary (55 deg), 21 days secondary (35deg). My OG was 1.050, my FG is 1.022.

Why would the FG be so high? I did not use a starter with this batch and it took 2-3 days to start fermenting.

That's only around 55% attenuation, a little low in my opinion. The FG depends on the yeast strain used, many Ofest strains exhibit low attenuation, around 65-70%. There are other factors such as; amount of oxygen available to the yeast, amount of yeast pitched, viability, etc. I would have given the beer more time in the primary since it's a lager and the temperature is colder.

I think fermentation was complete. It was 1.022 after 1 week in primary. I warmed it up to room temp for 2 days for a d-rest, then dropped 5 deg per day down to 35. No fermentation occurred.

I'm guessing I under pitched the yeast, no starter. Which luckily for me is ok with a malty octoberfest.

The sample I had yesterday tastes good. I'm going to bottle condition at 50 deg. for two weeks. Then two weeks at 35.

I think there are 2 things contributing to your low attenuation.

1) Underpitching. Lagers absolutely need a starter and that starter needs to be at least 2 quarts.

2) Primary was too short. Since lagers ferment at colder temps they need more than 1 week to finish. I kept my Oktoberfest in primary for 3 weeks then lagered for a month and that felt like I was rushing things a bit. Remember 1-2-3 is just a guideline, many beers will not be done in 1 week.

TheJadedDog said:
I think there are 2 things contributing to your low attenuation.

1) Underpitching. Lagers absolutely need a starter and that starter needs to be at least 2 quarts.
Are you sure this is an "absolute" or a stong opinion? I've only done one lager, but I didn't use a starter and it turned great.

I don't think my brew can ferment anymore. When I took it out for a d-rest for 2 days and then slowly to 35 over 6 days, the SG never changed.

I guess I could have added more yeast, but it's in the bottle now.

The beer may come out more carbonated than excpected, since there were some unfermented sugars left when you bottled.

Back