Should I add yeast if I blend these two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerheart

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have sour (on Roselare) that's been sitting in secondary for eight months now. I also have a sour I made with a sour mash and raspberries that's three weeks old. I did readings on both today - the first is at 1.002 and the second is at 1.010.

I did a quick blend of the two samples and it tasted/smelled great. I wasn't planning on blending these two, but it was so good I'm tempted to blend and bottle. My question is, if I did decide to bottle, will I need to add yeast? I was thinking I wouldn't have to because of the second reading. I'd also hate to lose this labor of love to bottle bombs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You won't have bottle bombs as long as your beer is fully fermented. Adding more yeast will only allow the priming sugar to be eaten. I would sprinkle 1/3 pack of a neutral yeast like US05 into your priming solution when you bottle. Get it mixed up good and bottle. It's just a precaution because your beers have been sitting so long.

Did you add bugs to the sour mashed beer? If not, I would blend and let it sit before bottling. I think the roselare is going to chew through the sour-mashed beer a little bit. Then you can add a neutral yeast at bottling for fast carbonation.

I used only roselare and the dregs from a few Duchess and Monk's Cafe bottles. So, maybe let it sit for another week or two?

I figure I'll end up with eight gallons total once blended. It appears as though most people on the forum still stick with just under 1 oz/gallon for priming sugar - sound safe?

Oops - reread your question Blizzard! no bugs added to the sour mash.

Blend some of the Roselare batch with the other and leave for a month, probably longer. As Blizzard said, there is food in the sour mash for the bugs.

Or pastuerize the sour before blending. If you add the sour mash to the roselare, you will end up with a different flavor when it comes out, since the bugs will be eating the whole time. If you pasteurize the roselare, all the flavors will be retained without worrying about the bugs changing everything on you.

Back