Loquat Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes

Reaction score
I'm due to debag a loquat dessert wine I've down, presently fermenting on the fruit only, no added sugar. 13kg fruit to 15.2 litres (4US gall) water.

If I squeezed the bag into another another fermenter then added honey, would this make the basis for a melomel?
Would I need to add yeast; would carry over from the wine must be sufficient? (Using Lalvin 1118).
All the usual suspects have gone into the wine must; other then water are there any additionals needed for the mead?

# questions - all answers greatfully received, thanks.

Nutrient and energizer for the yeast. Honey is good for you, it makes great mead, good when roasted on nuts...but it's a veritable wasteland when it comes for nutritional needs of yeast. And OXYGENATE like a bad dog.

I'd add more yeast, just because I'm not a big fan of under-pitching.

I also would not squeeze the fruit. You're likely to end up with yuck! But transfer the fruit and add honey and water....you'll probably be successful.

Cheers BK I've given this a run.
Bag was to be in the wine must for 5 days but pulled it at 4 as looked pretty well finished having given up 2.5%AV.
If it's turns out to be RS will have to put extra fruit into secondary.
Meanwhile gave it a hit with energizer, nutrient and Rohapect (for luck), honey @ 300gm/litre and repitched 1118 yeast. Got out of bed quickly so fingers crossed.

Back