Real ale in a polypin - lots of questions! : )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabrielKnight

Reaction score
I want to 'cask condition' a 6.5% IPA in a 20L polypin, adhering to UK CAMRAs ideals for 'real ale'. (live beer, natural ingedients, natural carbonation, living in own yeast)

1. How long should I wait after primary fermentation is complete before moving to polypin?

2. How much yeast should be moved across? When CAMRA stipulate that the cask should contain the original yeast, do they mean everything in the primary should be carried across, or are you allowed to transfer just some of the sediment?

3. Should I add a small amount of sugar to the polypin? Obviously, I don't want want the brew to be fizzy, but my understanding is that even real ale should have a little indescernable air / liveliness in it to keep it 'from going completely flat.

4. How long will my beer last once its in the polypin? I've researched this for ages and get so many different views - everything from 3 days to 3 months! If I keep all 30+ pints in the fridge and have a pint a day, will the last pint be as fresh as the first?

5. How much difference does it make when hooked up to a beer engine? How do you make the connection?

I do casks all of the time but don't have any idea what a polypin is. Keeping the same yeast normally refers to no filtering. Depending on aging practices, there is usually enough yeast suspended in the beer upon transfer that no more is needed. Just add a priming solution for full carbonation. The CO2 is normally vented prior to taping.

Back